Pedestal base

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Do you have one of the aluminum Yacht Specialties pedestals? I have heard of the the conical section of the base deteriorating and know of one Ericson owner who rebuilt his from fiberglass. If you can't do that you may have to think about getting a new pedestal. My totally unsubstantiated hunch about why some fall apart and others don't is that sometimes the wires for the compass light cause a stray current. Also, I think some maintenance is required. I spray painted mine a few years ago with white Rustoleum.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They're around.....

You likely have a Yacht Specialties/Merriman wheel assembly. I see these units, on a regular-but-not-scheduled basis at marine used parts stores around the NW. Have you checked around your geographic region? We have a couple of stores in PDX and there are at least two large ones that I know of in Seattle.....
It might be cheaper to find a good base and column and re-combine the best parts out of several....
(Like the great scene in "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" where Tuco assembles the perfect revolver.... :) )
Or, get out your checkbook and convert to a new Whitstock or Edson or similar...
:cool:

Best,
Loren

jreddington

Member III
I was just down in Florida last week poking around a consignment shop and came across a pedestal. Not sure if it is a Yachting Specialties pedestal since I could not find a logo (mine has a YS logo on the base). But it looks like one. Remembered that the shaft for the wheel is tapered at the end, unlike mine.

The pedestal is in solid shape but the paint is pretty bad. Would recommend getting it powdercoated. This one looked as bad as mine did but I'm amazed what a good powdercoating does to make it look brand new.

Here's the address in case you're interested in checking with them:

Nautical Trader
110 Colonia Ln E
Nokomis, FL 34275-3111
Phone: (941) 488-0766

If you're in the area be sure not to miss Captain Eddie's across the street. Great grouper and amberjack sandwiches not to metion onion rings and hushpuppies.

Jim