Painting Teak

Jarod

Member III
Hello All,

Doing some interior rehab while the snow and rain continues up here in Vancouver, BC. I have an Ericson 27 and the teak ply bulkhead that separates the starboard settee and the head has some water staining and the ply has actually separated a bit in a small area. I removed all of the stains and the separated outside teak ply and the dmg does not seem to be critical as there is still a ton of good sound wood in there. I have addressed the leak. My question is what should I do to repair the damage. I don't have the skills to remove and replace the bulkhead and it isn't necessary in this case anyway. I am thinking of filling the various screw nail holes and the wtr dmgd area with epoxy then painting white and trimming with teak. I like the look of Martin King's E31 rehab job so would be looking to do something similar. I also considered filling with epoxy sanding and applying some new teak veneer, but I have a feeling that might present a whole bunch of problems in future.....if I paint should i skim the entire bulkhead with epoxy?....what type of paint would be best?...any thoughts?..sorry for the wordy post.