painting , spars

spencer

Member II
can anyone out there give me some advice on repainting my alum. boom etc. My boom and spreaders are getting pretty scratched and I would like to refinish them. My first problem is that all spars are brown and I really dont want to redo the mast. what paint system works best and how do I get it to match my brown mast? Since about 80 percent of the boom and spreader area is in good shape how should I go about preping the surface without total removal or is total removal my only option for a really great finish and surface texture match. Need help and ideas from those of you painting experts out there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2300&referrerid=28

Some prior discussion here... I found this with a search on --> painting spars.

I just painted a little aluminum plate on my steering pedistal. After sanding and feathering into the good areas from the pitted areas I coated it with the usual zinc chromate and sanded and then repeated that step. Then I put some epoxy paint on to match the existing white color. Looks great from from a few feet away...
More prep time to get it smoother would have helped...
:rolleyes:

Loren

TwistedLogic

Member II
I refinished my mast and boom this past spring. The PO had brush painted them and the mildew just loved it. I sanded the spars down to bare aluminum, sprayed on an aluminum sealer and finished with 2 coats of DuPont Imron using a hvlp gravity fed gun. The finish is beautiful and bullet proof. However, you have to use a full face breathing mask with forced outside air. The imron is great but VERY dangerous to your health. I had the spreaders and hardware done with a matching powder coat. I am very happy with the results. Takes more equipment to do it this way but the results are worth it.:egrin:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I did my boom and mast this past spring- I used Perfection. I rolled and tipped everything. If you are just doing the boom, it should work out ok. Being indoors is KEY. I did the mast outdoors and it did not turn out as well as the boom which was done indoors. I'd sand everything smooth (no real need to go down to bare metal on all of it), spray zinc chromate on the bare parts, prime the whole thing and paint 2-3 nice topcoats. Should turn out great.
Tim had some really great tips on rolling and tipping that I took advantage of on the link provided.
CHris