Paint for Stripe

John Butler

Member II
I have some cosmetic damage to the topsides of my E38 (nail scrape from a piling) in a fairly limited area (sorry no pic). The damage is to the red/burgundy stripe below the rub rail as well as the white gel coat. The person I've talked to about repairing it asked me if the paint for the stripe was Imron or Awlgrip (apparently there is some incompatibility between them). I asked the PO who owned the boat since the late 90's and he said it was "original paint." I suppose maybe it is unless the owner before him had reason to paint it (no reason to believe he did). Anyone know how this stripe would have been applied? Is it paint over gel coat? Would it have been Imron or Awlgrip. Boat is hull number 59, built in August 1981 ('82 Model Year).

Thanks,
John

Emerald

I believe that the factory did the color on the cove stripe with gelcoat, not a paint. That's not to say someone didn't paint it later.

If I am wrong on this, Seth, or someone, straighten me out :rolleyes:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On my 1984 E30+ the stripe you are talking about does not seem to be painted on, but rather, is a different colour gelcoat--could yours be the same? Interlux makes a boot strip paint intended for the stripe along the waterline, which is a one part polyurethane. It comes in a number of different colours and has served me well on a previous boat.
Do you know what colour match Ericson used for the white gelcoat (I have a couple minor chips I would like to repair as well, but there are so many shades of white that the different builders used.
Good luck!
Frank.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
FWIW the stripe on our 84 E 35 Mk 3 is gelcoat. Not painted on. Just curious, where the scraches are, does it look like it scrached through and you now have a different color exposed?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably of little help... but on our '88, the waterline stripe is gelcoat, and the 1" cove stripe is mylar tape.
Difference is easy to spot -- the tape sits proud on the surface and the gel coat color edge is flush with the hull gel coat color. The tape is "softer" and more easily damaged, as well.

You are right about how many different shades of "white" that there are.
:rolleyes:

If the scratch is in gel coat, just get some of the same/similar color and slightly tint it to match. You could start with pure white base coat and tint to your color, but, whichever method, start with a lighter shade and darken it with your tinting. Some samples will have to be done, allowed to cure, and held up to the existing color for a perplexing comparison.

After it is on for a year and goes thru the initial UV fade, it will probably be off a shade or two... Matching this stuff is part science and... part art.... and a wee bit o' luck.

Tape matching is easier -- razor knife out the offending area and peel and insert a piece of matching mylar from your local sign shop.

Good luck,

Loren

John Butler

Member II
I was at the boat today and looked closer at the damage. I can’t tell if it’s gel coat or paint. The stripe is raised and not flush with the white topsides. It is definitely not tape. You can see from the pictures that there seem to be 2 colors under the top color. Would this be normal with gel coat (build it up in layers)? As you can tell, I don't know anything about this. Thanks for the input!

John

Attachments

• Stripe 1.jpg
    Stripe 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Stripe 2.jpg
    Stripe 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 97

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
John, it doesn't look like tape to me, nor does it look like the original gelcoat. My guess, based on your two pictures, is that the boat has been painted. As well, my guess is that it is not new paint--ie. it looks a bit weathered, so even if you find the original, I don't think it will match now.
If it were my boat, I would try to find the closest match regular one part polyurethane paint, or ask a paint store to give you their best guess on a close match, and simply touch it up. (If you take the picture to them they may be able to come close to matching it--amazing what a good paint person can achieve).
Good luck.
Frank.

hinters

Member I
John
Buy a can of one part poly-give the whole stripe a touch
with sandpaper-tape it off-paint the whole thing,both
sides, and it will look like new!
Always employ the KISS method!
Cheers
Pat
E-35II
Lions Den

Stripes for the masses

bootstripe.jpgI too am going to repaint my stripe. It's currently a Khaki color and I want to make it dark blue. So what should we use to repaint that? The boat will be here in 2 weeks on a Tuesday and I want that bad boy in the water by that weekend!! :egrin: Anyway, My wife is going to paint both the waterline and the boot stripe a dark blue and we just need to know what kind of paint to get. All help is appreciated!! :cool:

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Paint

Blue Heeler- I would just get Interlux Brightside Sapphire Blue, Dark Blue. Get som Interlux 333, brushing thinner and some 202 Solvent wash and 3M blue tape. Read the Interlux Product guide on how to roll and tip. Very easy with great results attaiable. I practiced on a storm window just to test my skills. good Luck. Rob Hessenius