Packing Gland Material

Mike V

I have a 1987 E26 with a universal M12. I would like to replace the packing gland material for the prop shaft. I was able to loosen the packing gland nut however I can only slide it back about an inch before it hits the flange that connects the prop shaft to the transmission. This leaves me less than a half of an inch to try and remove the old packing material. Do I need to disconnect the shaft from the transmission? If i do this will the shaft slide back easily? I am pretty mechanically inclined however, I have never done this type of maintenace before and I am not sure if I should give this job to the yard. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

I would like to add that I have followed this web site for quite sometime and it is by far one of the best boat forums going. I have always like the Ericson sailboats since I was a kid. I finally purchase one two years ago and have enjoyed the boat very much. I mostly sail single, although my two young childeren have started to take some interest. The only add on that I have done so far was a new main sail last year. What a difference that made for performance !!

Thanks again for any help that you can provide.

escapade

Inactive Member
Packing Gland "Pains"

Mike
This is a fairly straightforward job for a doityourselfer. WM used to sell a tool to reach up into the nut to remove the old packing material. Otherwise a hooked scriber or old dental tool works well also. Try not to scratch the shaft too badly if you can. If the boat is out of the water you can remove the drive flange from the end of the prop shaft BUT BE WARE! IF it hasen't been removed in a while it can be a real SOB! I have heated them RED hot with an acetylene torch and still couldn't break them loose! Ended up cutting it off. So if you try to remove it and it doesn't move easily I'd recommend the dental tool trick.
I've had good luck with the teflon packing rather than the flax style. Seems to last longer, IMHO. 3/16 is probably the size you'll need if you have a 1" dia. shaft. Wrap the packing around the shaft and make a diagonal cut so that you have a piece that goes once around the shaft with the ends meeting at an angle. Now cut two (2) more pieces just like the first. Place th first around the shaft noting where the ends meet and push it into the gland nut. Place the second ring around the shaft with the split 120 degrees from the first split & push this piece into the nut. Now add the third piece again 120 deg. from the last split and push into the nut. Now thread the nut back onto the shaft log ang snug down.
You'll need to loosen it once your in the water. Run the boat around for 15 or 20 minutes with the shaft dripping fairly quickly. While your helper (the Admiraliss?) motors you around tighten untill you get a drip, about 1 per second. This is about right amount of lubrication yet will not drip while at the dock. Takes a little fussing around but well worth it in the long run.
Hope this helps you out. Remember, the more you do yourself the less of a mystry your boat will be to you! Good luck.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers: