Packing gland access

Startacker

I have a 1970 Ericson 30 that I just bought. It has been modified with a Universal Diesel engine with a 25 gallon fuel tank just behind. It is almost impossible to get to the packing gland through the port side locker. Is it feasible to cut a hole behind the port side quarter berth to get to the packing gland? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
:confused:

Jim Baldwin

Member II
no access, no good

I ended up cutting away a large portion of the back fiberglass panel of the enginge compartment. It was practically impossible to get to the stuffing box in any other way. Even hanging upsidedown in the lazerette with a mirror and the bent-nose pliers didn't work.

This was not just a difficult situation, I considered it a potential hazard. Immediate and full access to the stuffing box, packing gland and the nut that keeps it all together should be more then just a good rule, don't you think?

Walter Pearson

Member III
I had to replace a prop strut and needed access to that area, so I cut an opening in the quarterberth on my E27. For just accessing the stuffing box, I probably wouldn't cut it as large as I did, but now that it's there, it would be hard to go back to the old configuration. I found a leaky exhaust that I might not have discovered without having the access from the lower end and working on the stuffing box is now an easy job. My boat has a starboard quarterberth, so things might be differecnt, but details and sketches can be provided if you are interested.

Jim Baldwin

Member II
I am curious...

I have a '73 E27 and the quarterberth already has two large access panels under the cushion. These are standard and not added on. I still couldn't really reach the packing gland which was up against the back of the engine compartment. (I have installed a different engine so maybe that was part of the problem. Anyway...

I guess my question is...If you cut another big hole, what have you got left of your quarterberth?

Walter Pearson

Member III
My '76 E27 only had a small rectangular access plate near the forward end of the quarterberth from which you could get to the starboard scupper throughhull and valve. I needed access further aft. I didn't know how much room I would need - and wanted to use the cutout to fill the opening, so made it oversize. It was cut along the horizontal section of the quarterberth, up the vertical wall and over a portion of the horizontal ledge (where the rudder tube passes through).

I worried a little as to whether there was any loss in structural strength by removing such a large piece going across two bends, but the coring in these areas was such that it appeared only to provide some stiffness to whatever vertical load might be applied. By supporting the cutout when it is reinstalled, I think that stiffness is maintained.