Pacific Seacraft Ericson 380

bjung

Hello. New to the Forum, and looking for opinions on the 380. We currently sail a PSC 31 Crealock, and are looking to move up. I would like to get input from 380 owners about their boats, the good, the bad, and any hints on potential problem areas for boat inspections. I understand the hull- deck joint is only glassed, but not bolted. Does that seem adequate?
Thank you for your time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Strong Joint

Hello. New to the Forum, and looking for opinions on the 380. We currently sail a PSC 31 Crealock, and are looking to move up. I would like to get input from 380 owners about their boats, the good, the bad, and any hints on potential problem areas for boat inspections. I understand the hull- deck joint is only glassed, but not bolted. Does that seem adequate?
Thank you for your time.

Owning a boat (our EY-built Olson 34) with a thru-bolted hull to deck joint on a flat inward flange.... I would consider the Standard Ericson method in the 80's to be the "only method better 'n ours". And ours is normally considered a very high standard for the industry.

When the deck and hull of a boat is joined that way and the whole structure is one, continuously glassed together with heavy roving inside, that's about the best you can do.

Loren

PDX

Member III
Incidences of failure?

Ericson started using this technique in the 1960s. Some of those boats are now nearly 50 years old. That's certainly long enough to develop a track record. Has anyone heard of any incidences of failure?

Alli-Rose

PS31 to 380

Hello. New to the Forum, and looking for opinions on the 380. We currently sail a PSC 31 Crealock, and are looking to move up. I would like to get input from 380 owners about their boats, the good, the bad, and any hints on potential problem areas for boat inspections. I understand the hull- deck joint is only glassed, but not bolted. Does that seem adequate?Thank you for your time.
We owned a PS 31 for twelve years. Prior to trading up to a 380 we sailed our 31 to Alaska and circumnavigated around Vancouver Island x2. Two years ago We moved up for 2 reasons better performance and more room. Our 380 is a deep keel drawing 6'6". Regarding performance very pleased. The sail /displacement ratio indicates a more tender boat then the PS31 and we found this to be true. However with the added Strong Sail Track to assist in the mainsail handling and reeding it has not been a issue to our comfort.Cruised to border of British Columbia and Alaska this year. Really enjoyed the extra room. Things we don't like compared to the 31: raw water impeller changing on the Yanmar 3gm easier than the 3JHHad all chain rode on 31 concerned about weight in bow with 380 so opted for 75ft of chain and 250 ft rope not really comfortable with this secondary to our deep anchorages. Considering more chain for next season. We have not had any major surprises and find the build quality of the 380 similar to the PS31Good Luck in your decision.

bjung

Thank you for the replies. They sort of reflect what I have been reading so far. I have been very happy with the quality of our PSC 31, and it appears the 380 is no different. I will propably take a closer look at one next week. It is also good to know there is an active owner's forum.
Thanks again!