Our first sail and our first CG boarding

Sven

Seglare
On Saturday we finally took a break from the to-do list the surveyor prepared for us and went out for our first sail on Serendipity after the purchase.

We left Mission Bay under power to head straight out to sea so we'd have room while we familiarized ourselves with the sails and running rigging. About .5 NM out we notice the CG about 10 boat lengths behind us and closing. Once they pulled along our port side in their bright orange tender they asked us when the boat was last boarded. We respond that we didn't know which they didn't seem to believe as they asked us again. We respond that we have never been boarded and we didn't know when the boat last was because we just bought it.

They ask us if we have any weapons or knives aboard and tell us to just hold our course and they will board us. I figure we're in trouble because I still hadn't found the holding tank y-valve and the garbage and oil discharge placards seemed to be missing. The surveyor had noted that the flares were expired and the fire extinguishers didn't have the required inspection tags so at least I had run out to get new flares and an extinguisher before Lew came out for our harbor shakedown the prior Saturday. Nancy had already transferred the registration three days earlier.

The CG guys turned out to be very professional and pleasant. They did spend time searching through the boat and did note that the two placards were missing. The new flares and fire extinguisher came in handy. They never asked us about the y-valve for the holding tank (I figured out later why there wasn't one*). They ended up giving us a clean bill of health and told us to just get and mount the placards. They also noted (with apparent sincerity) that they thought Serendipity was beautiful.

All in all it was a rather pleasant event and the only thing that really bothers me is that they asked for picture IDs and seemed to run our drivers' licenses while the inspection was going on. What if we hadn't brought licenses ? Are "papers" required when on board a boat !?

The sail was really nice ... I was amazed to find that locking the wheel left the boat tracking perfectly for 15-20 minutes without an autopilot. She just held the heading without anyone lifting a finger !

Flaking the main was exciting. Nancy stayed at the wheel while I tried to flake it in the confused seas outside Mission Bay. At one point I was reminded of riding a mechanical bull as the seas set us rocking pretty badly while I held on to the boom in a near-death embrace as it swung back and forth the 4-5 feet that the main sheet allowed. I think we'll keep the main up until we are inside the breakwaters next time or not worry so much about neat flaking when conditions don't allow it :)

A very nice day !

* There is no y-valve because the overboard pump discharge is teed off the deck pump-out hose. IOW, the head empties into the holding tank at all times and it is emptied either via the deck pump-out or the manual diaphragm pump hooked to the deck pump-out hose. Is that legal ?

-Sven

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Congratulations on your first sail!

I don't know if papers are required when aboard a boat, but San Diego is a frontier (an international border area) with the close proximity to the Mexican drug business and you have read about all the problems down Mexico way, right? Perhaps it isn't a surprise that the CG would ask for positive ID.

It is great to hear that they were so professional.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Regarding your difficulty flaking the mainsail...

I have a large and heavy mainsail on our boat, and have learned to flake it by doing the following: 1) Move the traveller 2/3 to port so I can reach it by standing on the deck rather than having to climb onto the coach roof where it is more unstable; 2) Harden the mainsheet right down so the boom is held snugly and can't bounce around in the waves and is low enough so I can reach it well to flake the sail; 3) Also snug up the boom vang to hold the boom in place; 4) Have the sail ties readily at hand (between my teeth if necessary) so I can tie the sail and not have it slip away; 5) Either have the wheel brake on or the autohelm to maintain course as needed to avoid getting broadside to waves; 6) Take the waves at a 45 degree angle--straight on is too bouncy and on the beam rolls the boat too much.
Hope that helps!
Frank.

Sven

Seglare
I don't know if papers are required when aboard a boat, but San Diego is a frontier (an international border area)

Ah, I forgot about the 100 mile rule ! I'm sure that would indeed cover the ID requirement.

I have a large and heavy mainsail on our boat, and have learned to flake it by doing the following

Good suggestions. I had sheeted in the main and fixed the traveler. The bridge deck is a reasonable place for reaching the boom for the first few folds but maybe fixing the traveler to port or starboard would help for the rest of the folds.

We've sailed quite a few boats in the 30-35' range in the past but the extra 4' are definitely noticeable when it is time to manhandle the sails in swells.

Thanks for the answers.

Wonderful boat !

-Sven

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Makes me thankful for my $15.00 retractable home made lazy jacks. A couple of eyelets on the boon and a spare jib halyard to raise and lower them. 100’ of ¼” double braid and a few bowline knots.

Emerald

Hi Sven,

I've been enjoying reading of your new family member (E38:egrin:) and am quit happy to see that you've ended up with a nice Ericson again. I always enjoyed reading about what you achieved with La Pettiite (sp?).

Any ideas what prompted the boarding and why the question of when you had last been boarded? Find it hard to believe that people are boarded so frequently that this would be a standard question, but perhaps it's due to the location you were in.

I did chuckle at your expense on trying to flake the main while rolling. Been there. I haven't had to go through this fun roller coaster ride since I installed a Dutchman flaking system - highly recommend it if you get into main sail mods.

Sven

Seglare
Randy and David,

Makes me thankful for my $15.00 retractable home made lazy jacks.

Dutchman flaking system - highly recommend it if you get into main sail mods.

We might look into something like those solutions. My ribs are still a bit tender from the bucking boom ride :-D

An upside-down sail cover that is snapped on just before flaking seems like another possible solution. I've seen some installations like that but think they are permanently mounted ? I have a bunch of Sunbrella to play with so I can experiment a bit.

We're really glad to be back on another well cared for Ericson.

-Sven

Lew Decker

Member III
:esad:Okay...This is the embarrassing part. I believe in taking the heat when it is deserved. Let it fly. I'll stand here and take it.:rolleyes:

I owned Serendipity for about five years. We were never boarded by the Coasties. Not once. They followed us out the channel a few times but were always called away by some slightly more pressing emergency. My Karma is obviously better than Sven's.

Had I kept abreast of regulations, I think I could have afforded to have the proper placards in place. As it is, I don't exactly know what they are.

Being asked to show ID's, etc., is a little beyond reason. I would have followed meekly along and done everything the Coasties asked, but I would have been fuming inside. The placard issue is silly. ID's??? You have got to be kidding.

I have always been in cruise mode and have a less than healthy respect for rules. I believe in the pirate code, that rules are more like guidelines. I think it is was a boon to my own health and well-being that Serendipity was never boarded during my watch. I'd probably still be in the slammer.

Y-valve? Sven asked me if there was one. "Sure", I responded. Okay - ignorance is bliss in this case. Serendipity has only been day sailed. 9 trips out of 10, the head wasn't used at all. When it was, we restricted its use to the liquid waste variety. I never had an issue with pumping the holding tank clear when we were well offshore. There was never anything in it except water. The tank was sometimes nearly full because in my thrice weekly trips to the boat, I made it a point to run all faucets and pump water into the head to keep everything fresh and functioning. Emptying the holding tank was just a matter of pumping that same fresh water overboard. The PO never used the head either. So...I never changed anything. I just assumed there was a Y-valve somewhere and that it was set for overboard discharge. So what I never looked? Sorry, Sven. Like I said, this is embarrassing.

Ditto the fire extinguishers.:esad:...There were 2 or 3 in the locker by the head. Did I ever get them out to see what they were??? Nope. Did it ever occur to me to be sure to have a working fire extinguisher available??? Nope. Did I ever lose sleep over that kind of thing??? When it came to boat selling, I couldn't sleep for a year. Fire extinguishers??? Slept like a baby.:egrin:

Stupid story time...I delivered a Gulfstar 37 from St. Pete to Tortola. We left the commissioning yard at 4 in the afternoon headed for Marathon in the Keys. At 2 AM a shadow appeared out of nowhere and hailed us to heave to. The Coasties were there in force with no lights. We were running off before a good norther of 20+ knots and I yelled over to them that it wouldn't be prudent to heave to. They launched a Zodiac and roared over to board us. No papers, no placards, no fire extinguishers, no nothing. This was a brand spanking new Gulfstar straight from the yard that was as barren as any boat could hope to be. The Coasties were convinced we were running dope. They proceeded to search every locker, every drawer, every duffel bag, every bilge compartment, every nook, every cranny, and probably would have searched every body orifice, but common sense prevailed. They stopped clomping around long enough for me to repeat for 20th time that we were a delivery crew headed offshore for Tortola. The Coasties finally left, but did they bother to shut lockers, drawers, floorboards, etc.??? Nope. Okay - they were just doing their jobs. I didn't have to be happy about it, though, and I let them know in some very direct verbal messaging what I thought of their activities. I got some very stern verbal messaging in return about being forced back to St. Pete if I didn't lighten up.:mad:

Anyway, let the flames begin. My only defense is that, again, I've always been in cruise mode. Authority figures make me bristle. Details like placards are fairly low on the priority list. Fire extinguishers? I guess I botched up. Y-valves and pumping waste overboard? There was no Y-valve, I guess. There wasn't any waste either.:egrin:

In all seriousness, I mentioned before that I couldn't have found better owners for Serendipity if I had held a national search. Sven and Nancy are the best. I just hope that Serendipity lives up to all their dreams. I had a few for her but my fortunes went into some kind of weird stroke holding tank. Selling Serendipity was the only way to pump myself out.:rolleyes:

So...Saturday I went sailing with my brother-in-law who has some serious health issues. He owns a rather tattered Catalina 30 that he will have to sell soon. We sailed straight out to sea in a 12 knot breeze and and some wispy fog that drifted in and out. The boat was on good behavior, as were the Coasties who never showed up. Greg and I laughed and scratched about old times and oogled some drop dead gorgeous sailing machines, including one gray Ericson 46 that won the day's beauty contest. We had a ball. I don't know how many more days we will have like that together, but one thing is for sure. That day is in the bank, and will be a day to cherish as time marches on. I hope your Thanksgiving weekends were as precious.

Thanks again for all the help and notes of support over the last year. This board is a nice place to be.

Sven

Seglare
It shouldn't be ...

this is embarrassing.

They thought she was pretty and well kept, that's what matters.

I didn't know about the fire extinguishers either, until I read the survey stating that they didn't have the required inspection stickers. When I asked the CG about that after they had looked at them they answered quite honestly that it is a rip-off; it costs about the same to inspect them as to buy new ones. The ones in La Petite were never inspected either ... well, I inspected them by looking at the gauge and thought that was it.

I also wouldn't have known about the placards except that Fox's earlier survey said they were there and I was wondering where they were and what they looked like. Turns out that they are free at WM (probably the only thing they sell that isn't overpriced :) but they are ugly big stickers.

I'll have to find out about the y-valve, if a valve is required the way it is plumbed. After Glynn's discussions about locking the valves or removing the handles I was somewhat sensitive even before they visited.

I do think American's are much too tolerant of the policing of boats and boaters, but maybe it is required because boating isn't a natural part of the national culture as it is back in Sweden.

Still, it was a very nice day and we got a new experience without me ending up deported !

-Sven

joerun26

Member II
Y-Valve Required ?

Sven,
When I replaced the holding tank and all associated hoses on Tenacious I configured it exactly as you have described (e.g. pump from the head to the holding tank with 2 options to empty the tank - pump out, or manually discharge overboard). In my mind, it greatly simplifies things. In this configuration a Y valve is not required. Turns out, West Marine describes this setup very well in the attached link (under system options - their favorite method). The only difference with mine is that my holding tank as 2 discharge ports so I have a seperate line going each way. I'll be converting to a fresh water flush system this winter using the port water tank (if anyones done this I'd appreciate any lessons learned).

Hope this helps and enjoy Serendipity.

joe

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/HeadsHoldingTanks.htm

Sven

Seglare
Hi Joe,

When I replaced the holding tank and all associated hoses on Tenacious I configured it exactly as you have described (e.g. pump from the head to the holding tank with 2 options to empty the tank - pump out, or manually discharge overboard).

I had looked at that diagram and agree that it is the best option but it has a y-valve (8 in the figure below) which we don't have. Did you install that y-valve and do you remove or lock the handle when out ?

Many thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• Plumbing option.gif
    Plumbing option.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 112

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Valves, and tanks, and inspections, oh my

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6251&highlight=holding+tank

Same diagram I copied off the vendor site in this earlier thread. Our boat has a Y-valve, but that's the only constructive difference from the piping you are describing.

The Inspectors prefer you not have the Y-valve for direct overboard discharge, so that there is no need to check on whether the toilet waste is actually going into the holding tank.

If you use your boat in an area on the ocean or connected to the ocean, then you would want the Y-valve so that you can indeed direct discharge when XX number of miles offshore. (IMHO)

We find that the USCG station personnel stationed in ocean/SAR-intensive areas are uninterested in checking on your potty plumbing. :(
PFD's, harness, ground tackle, flares, and fire bottles, etc are their main interest. They deal in safety reality. Some of them occasionally die along with the mariners they try to help.

Where I live, 90 miles inland, they are more likely to use the whole check-list when doing a "boarding." Note that this is the same list that is used for your annual Vessel Safety Check. No one in uniform will admit that they avoid boarding a boat with a current VSC sticker... but as one Coastie told our YC folks at a general meeting, they always first look for obvious safety violations when out on the water... and all those nitwits with small children (no pfd's) speeding in their V-8 bow riders do provide the USCG a "target rich opportunity!"
:)

It's not that sailboats with VSC stickers are immune, just that we are waaaay down the priority list....
:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you use your boat in an area on the ocean or connected to the ocean, then you would want the Y-valve so that you can indeed direct discharge when XX number of miles offshore. (IMHO)

Loren, a Y-valve is not necessary to direct overboard discharge. It is directed based on path of least resisitance. I have mine setup just like the diagram minus the Y-valve(tee in it's place). I keep the seacock closed and can pump thru the pumpout port on deck. if I want to pump overboard, I open the seacock and pump. A good seal is required on the deck fitting but I keep a few extra O-rings onboard just in case.

Tom Plummer

Member III
Just a thought on the ID's. Last time I checked the USCG was/is a law enforcement agency. That being said when was the last time you got stopped by a cop and wern't required to produce ID?

Sven

Seglare
Just a thought on the ID's. Last time I checked the USCG was/is a law enforcement agency. That being said when was the last time you got stopped by a cop and wern't required to produce ID?

I have never been stopped by a "cop" without cause.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Congratulations on your shake down cruise. Not too surprised that you were boarded being in that area. Were you under sail? There's kind of a myth that they won't bother you if your under sail but I know one person who was asked to drop his sails. I was on a sport fishing boat when we were boarded late at night in Long Beach harbor. The CG must have kept us for a half an hour snooping around. It took the skipper a while to produce that last life jacket. I don't recall them asking any one else on board for a ID except the skipper. I know of others that have been boarded when sailing near the outer islands like San Nicholas.

Do you plan on sailing her up to LA soon? I brought my boat up from San Diego in November 2002. Got pretty chilly at night. Took 24 hours on my E-27. Fond memories though.

joerun26

Member II
Y Valve Required ?

Sven,

I do not have the Y valve (#8 in the diagram). My holding tank has two exit ports. Once goes directly to the deck pump out, and the other goes to the manual diaphram pump and then to the through hull.

I believe all the discussion about locking Y Valves only apply if the valve is in place before the holding tank. In other words, the Y valve would allow you to direct flow from the head directly over board or to the holding tank. In this application, you should have the Y valve directing flow to the holding tank and locked (unless you are offshore per regulations). Our systems are not plumbed this way and locking the #8 valve in the diagram (if one was in place) would not be necessary.

joe
Tenacious
35-111

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

Congratulations on your shake down cruise. Not too surprised that you were boarded being in that area. Were you under sail?
Do you plan on sailing her up to LA soon? I brought my boat up from San Diego in November 2002. Got pretty chilly at night. Took 24 hours on my E-27. Fond memories though.

The shakedown was very pleasant and we got our goldenrod "get out of jail free" paper that the CG said would most likely be good for a year since they didn't put down any dings against us.

We were not yet under sail. We wanted room to mess up and gracefully recover so we wanted to be away from any traffic before setting sail.

We still don't have a slip up north so we are 2.5 hour commuters for the time being (Thanksgiving Wednesday in the rain was 3.5 hours).

Yes, it is a bit chilly (by California standards), especially if it rains.

We might head out to San Clemente over the holidays if the weather agrees. We should stay in port and work on stuff but we got the boat to sail !

Did you motor up north ? I assume yes if you went at night.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Joe,

I believe all the discussion about locking Y Valves only apply if the valve is in place before the holding tank. In other words, the Y valve would allow you to direct flow from the head directly over board or to the holding tank.

I think we'll assume you are right. I wonder what the cost of being wrong is ?

Our through-hull actually exits about a foot above the waterline which might have reasons other than just avoiding below-the-waterline through hulls. It would certainly make it very obvious if you were discharging where you shouldn't be.

Enough about plumbing :)

Thanks for the answers,

-Sven

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Were you under sail? There's kind of a myth that they won't bother you if your under sail but I know one person who was asked to drop his sails.

This is no myth. A good friend is a soon-to-retire lifer in the USCG and has said, repeatedly, that they don't mess with sailboats under sail unless you do something really stupid. The USCG doesn't really instruct on sailing and sailboats to most personnel so they are quite uncomfortable around them. I have let my friend use my boat as "training" for some of his people, they would rather pull over go-fasts, etc. than mess with us. Suits me fine. Doesn't hurt to have his name to drop either.... RT