Ouch!

Andy Rogers

Member II
Spotted this Ericson in Noank, CT. The week before it was more recognisable but had very serious damage to the hull. The yard then demolished to cart it away.

Attachments

• dscn0725.jpg
    dscn0725.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 713

Bob in Va

Member III
Reminds me of a friend who had Hunter 34 go through a hurricane in the Bahama while moored. It didn't do too well. When I asked him how it fared, he said, "Afterwards, you couldn't tell it was a boat."

jreddington

Member III
Oh, that picture makes my heart sink. I'm guessing by the train tracks that the boat was at the Noank Village Boatyard. Do you know what her name and owner was? Talked to Ron about the Ericson next to me that got its jib torn to shreds in that Noreaster last fall but he didn't mention any boats that got that badly beat up. Was it damaged in that Noreater? Been keeping my boat up in Portland for the winter so don't get down there in the winter much anymore. It feels like a loss in the family of all our Ericsons at NVBY. I'm sure its triggered quite a few conversations as the Amtrak speeds by.

Andy Rogers

Member II
Yes...it was at Spicer's and had been there since early fall so I don't think it was storm damage. It was in very sorry shape before they demolished it and I didn't get a chance to see the name.

I've been down at Spicer's a few times over the winter and am always surprised to see how many people leave their sails on during the windy season. I've already rescued one Ericson's unfurled jib at Spicer's.

cruis-n

Member II
Ericson 36 Fell of the Jackstands - total loss

This Eriscon 36 fell off it's jackstands during a severe storm. They said winds were in excess of 60 MPH. Landed on it's side, broke the mast and crushed the hull. The same storm messed up the docks pretty bad. Several boats lost masts. Our boat was on the hard in another section of the yard (about 150 yeards away) with the mast out. Luckily no damage to our boat. Heard the boat was listed for a time on eBay as salvage but can't find the listing now.

Attachments

• mvc-831s.jpg
    mvc-831s.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
This is obviously not an Ericson, but as long as we are looking at horible pictures I thought this one would add to the gasps. This is in San Diego south end of the bay where a number of moorings broke loose after the last heavy Santa Ana Wind storm.

Attachments

• sunken ship 2.jpg
    sunken ship 2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 622