original plans for cruising 36 (36c)

Don Furber

Hi; I'm in need of a copy of original plan drawings for the steering quadrant and dimensions of the area inside the cutout in the transom. Or, has anyone installed an Alpha 3000 pilot on this boat? My friend at sea on his way to Hawaii is needing to replace the two failed systems he has now. Yep, lots of hand steering! <label for="rb_iconid_9">
icon9.gif
</label>

erikwfab

Member II
36 C auto pilot

Don,
The only truly squared away auto pilots ive seen on a 36C are mechanical rotary drives made by Raymarine. Chain drive to a sprocket on the brass helm shaft mounted inside the steering box.
My 36C had a belt drive gizmo mounted to the cockpit floor, driving a 12" ring on the wheel, made by CPT inc. with another helm input box........good for motoring and accidentally kicking.
i still have it in the shed and your friend is welcome to it, dont have any steering compartment prints, but could measure.

Don Furber

Don,
The only truly squared away auto pilots ive seen on a 36C are mechanical rotary drives made by Raymarine. Chain drive to a sprocket on the brass helm shaft mounted inside the steering box.
My 36C had a belt drive gizmo mounted to the cockpit floor, driving a 12" ring on the wheel, made by CPT inc. with another helm input box........good for motoring and accidentally kicking.
i still have it in the shed and your friend is welcome to it, dont have any steering compartment prints, but could measure.

Measurements would be great as it would give us a head start on getting repair parts or a new system to HI. He's been having a pretty tough time lately and any good news would help. Thanks

erikwfab

Member II
36c steering

Don
Sitting onboard today I took the following dimensions;
Helm Shaft aft of quadrant drive chain is 1" dia with a 1/4" keyway X 2" long
steering box dimensions are
30"w athwart ships X 14" h X 12"L at bottom and 21" L at top ( fore n aft)

here are a couple photos
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 173

Don Furber

36c plans

Eric I really appreciate the info, very good pictures and all the measurements that are needed. This should tell the Alpha pilot salesman enough to plan the layout of a new model 3000. My friend is still at sea but within a couple hundred miles of Hilo, and has been forced to use the emergency tiller as the steering cable broke. What an ordeal!

Glyn Judson

Steering cable hardware.

Don, I hope I'm not repeating myself here but a very weak link in the steering of our boat cropped up, fortunately when I was in the slip centering the wheel. The welded stainless eye that the steering cables are swaged to, parted at the weld as I was tightening the jam nut using a screwdriver in the eye to counter the rotation of my wrench. The culprit was crevice corrosion and after testing the other one, it too fell apart in my hands. My solution was to buy two CS Johnson turnbuckle ends I think called T-bolts, photo attached. I cut the original eyes off the intact cable and used the T-bolts in there place. Now they can be easily rep;aced in the future if needed. I wonder if that was the point if failure in Jim's steering? Glyn

Attachments

• Hull #55, Y:S, Quadrant T-bolts.jpg
    Hull #55, Y:S, Quadrant T-bolts.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 107