Original Bottom Color?

newpbs

Member III
Does anyone know what the original color barrier coat my 32-200 would have had? It looks like the current barrier coat, under years of ablative paint, is black. She was built in 1988.

Were Ericsons shipped with black bottoms?

Paul

oceandreams89

Member II
My 1989 38-200 had a white primer coat under the first coat of red bottom paint. I just went through the work of removing it all, and found it just on top of the gelcoat. The owners manual says the boat was shipped with one primer coat, and one coat of Interlux Bottomkote. I would think that the black you found is the first coat of Interlux Bottomkote hard bottom paint. Go a little deeper with 80 grit sandpaper until you hit primer, or gelcoat.

newpbs

Member III
thanks

oceandreams89

Thanks for the reply. Ii looks like I'm also due to strip the whole bottom. I'm not looking forward to it. What method did you use? Grinding, chemical stripper, blasting?

Brian K

Member III
Paul, I have a 1988 32-200 also and I'm interested in your findings. Since I sail on Lake Ontario anti-fouling bottom paint is not a big concern for me but I would like to strip the bottom and repaint someday.

oceandreams89, you mentioned the owners manual. Do you have an owners manual for the E-32-200? I've asked on this forum before but have yet to find a 32-200 model specific owners manual.

Thanks,,,, Brian

newpbs

Member III
Same Boat

Brian K

I'm also in the great lakes, Lake St. Clair to be specific. If you are ever out this way it would be fun to compare notes and boats. Do you ever sail Lake Erie?

I have so many layers of bottom paint on my boat that the paint is cracking and pealing in spots just from the weight of the paint. I'm considering blasting down to the gel-coat and starting over in order to smooth things up.

I too would be interested in seeing an owners manual specific to the 32-200.

Paul

Brian K

Member III
Paul, I saw you were in the St. Clair area. Yes, I agree it would be fun to compare boats, but no, I never get out that way. I'm mostly a day sailor but hope to take a few short trips this year.

If I hear of a manual for the 32-200 I'll try to get a copy added to the EYO site. So far I don't believe one exists. Feel free to email me or call if you have any questions or want to compare notes.

Brian