Opinions sought (sail construction)

Ian S

Member III
I had a new suite of sails made by a major loft who I won't name (yet!) The new main for my 90' E32-III was built wrong in that the tack is set back about 5" to far aft as well as all the reefing cringles. The other thing I find odd is that the bunt line cringles are considerably lower than the reefing tack position (which I have never seen) I typically think of having them in line from the clew to the tack. This was a very expensive sail that I could have had another loft build for nearly 1/2 the cost. Their solution is to recut the sail by simply removing and re-appling new reenforcing patches and build the sail back up in those areas. Again in 3 places. My question (more specifically to any possible sail makers) I am not certain if I should find this an acceptable solution. Of course I would prefer a new sail but I can already tell that would be an uphill battle and a long wait. I would think the sail is compromised but I am not a sail maker. Just hoping for some honest feedback.

Thanks all!
Capt. Ian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the (major brand) loft mis-measured the sail and built it wrong they will just build another one. It happens once in a while to the best of them.
Case in point: about a decade ago a friend of mine got a half-price deal on a new main sail that was offered thru that loft's branches nationwide. It was built wrong-sized for another customer.

My friend had a slight recut done and it was perfect for his 34 footer. No loft likes having to 'eat' a sail, but sometimes stuff just happens. And in my friend's situation I doubt that they lost much real wholesale $ on the transaction.

So let's hope that there is a delayed but acceptable outcome to this story.

As Red Green used to say: "We're all pulling for you. Keep your stick on the ice!"

:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would expect a new sail, and no questions asked. So would everybody I know.

Keep us posted.

They measured, right?

Last edited:

Ian S

Member III
Thanks guys! I have to confess I feel like a jerk asking for a new sail, not to mention the wait. I did the measuring (which i was not thrilled about) My numbers are on the money, they simply built it wrong. The sail fits in so far as the luff, leach and foot dim. Some how they set all the tack point back 5+ inches. so they are proposing to remove the existing reenforcements move all the hardware (rutergersen press rings) and put it back together. One could argue that the sail may actually be a bit stronger since the reinforcements will be larger. I just don't like the sound of the sail being dragged around the loft, thousands of stitches being removed and put back together. Not to mention I doubt they have the same material in the local loft that I spec'd for the build which was Marblehead 104. I did pay with an Amex and they were willing to reverse payment if I asked them to, indicating that I certainly had grounds to do so. It's a tough one all right.

BTW: Loren Red Green is my hero! This is a situation where tab "A" definately does not fit into slot "B"

Capt. Ian

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks guys! I have to confess I feel like a jerk asking for a new sail, not to mention the wait. Capt. Ian
Ian,
You are not a jerk for asking for a new sail and you should not feel like one. They screwed it up and they need to make it right. That's all there is to it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A sail for a standard cruising boat these days is just a set of computer specs for a contractor in Asia.

Oliver McCann, well known U.K. Sails rep in Marina del Rey: "If you have any problem with the sail, you will get a new one. No questions asked."

There are still real sailmakers, if you happen to have a special boat or a thick wallet. Just call Carol Hasse at Port Townsend Sails, who is one of them.

I'll bet she would listen, and give you valuable advice on the situation. There is still pride in the field.