Opinions on Trinidad SR bottom paint

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The yard that painted the bottom of my boat at the end of February has agreed to repaint it due to problems that have developed with the paint.

They have also agreed to paint it with Trinidad SR if I pay the difference in the cost over their "normal" paint.

My boat is in Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard, CA. The diver that cleans my boat thinks Trinidad is a good paint, but I would also like to hear opinions on it from others who use it or have knowledge of it.

I will probably take the boat in next week, so I need to make a decision on the paint soon...

Emerald

I also had good luck with the Trinidad SR on the Chesapeake - we have different sea critters than you (I think more slime issues), but it's been as good as any I've used. Currently have Interlux Micron CSC with Biolux, and I'd say the performance has been comparable.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Mark,

I had Trinidad SR the time before last. I was happy with it & it lasted 3 years. Last time the boatyard talked me into trying something different - Z Spar. I get my bottom cleaned monthly so I'm not sure the SR (slime repellant) is any big benefit. So far so good with Z Spar after two years. It was probably the same boatyard you are at - C.I. Boatyard. Were you also formerly at Vintage Marina, B dock?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My boat was painted at Bellport Anacapa Boatyard. They said they would use Z-Spar but apparently used something called California Bottomkote, which is not performing well at all.

Is the paint you are using now called "The Protector"? (It may be packaged as Z-Spar when sold to commercial operations.) Here's a link to the description on the Pettit website:

http://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=21

I just called my diver to ask about the Z-Spar and he says he's heard good comments about it, but he's heard better about Trinidad. I guess it may be worth the extra expense to try to get three years out of it.

My boat was originally at Anacapa Isle Marina until March of this year when I moved to Peninsula Yacht Marina to try to save a little on slip fees. I hear the new Catalina Yacht Anchorage may even be cheaper. The boat may have been at Vintage prior to my involvement which began in January of 2008.

Thanks for weighing in on this!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Mark,

I'm not sure if the Z Spar was "the protector," or not. I may still have the receipt, but I don't recall it specifying the type of paint. I'll look for it if I have a chance.

The link you sent was for high copper load paint, which may or may not be what I have. I wonder when or if the state will outlaw it?

Are you happy with Bellport Anacapa?

TwistedLogic

Member II
I am very happy with the Petit Trinidad on my hull in SW Florida. The water temp is currently 87. Stuff does attach but it brushes right off.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
More votes is better! Thanks again.

I am not completely happy with Bellport. We had some communication issues when my boat was last in that resulted in a higher bill than I had anticipated, but at least they lowered the final bill and are now doing the right thing by repainting the bottom.

Next time however I would try Anchor's Weigh Boatyard (previously Channel Islands Boat Yard.) They are a couple hundred yards down the channel from Bellport.