On-demand Hot Water Heater

Ericsean

Member III
Has anyone found a propane on demand water heater suitable for installation on a boat? Add a water heater to the long list of systems that's not operating on my E-38.

Since I have a propane stove, (of course not working yet due to leaky valve) I thought it would be better to install one of these on-demand units. Smaller, & instant hot water.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hinterhoeler/Nigara/Nonsuch I have seen all have Paloma brand installed. The only issue I have seen is Paloma won't sell or warranty the product if on a boat. I have heard of surveyors freaking out over these units, saying their unsafe, etc. Sure there is potential danger but thats pretty much the case with anything on a boat..... You will have to cut a decent sized hole in the cabintop for the exhaust.

I thought long and hard about installing one and I am still on the fence about it. Currently I have a Safestor AC/engine fired unit. Since I usually run the engine enough each day the heater has hot water in it. I have only used the AC twice with the Honda 2000 generator gets it up to temp in about 25minutes. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Before installing one of there internally-vented demand-driven water heaters, check with your insurer. It's been way over a decade, but there was an article about a boater that died from the CO that somehow accumulated in the cabin.
Loren