Old Sailing Article

supersailor

Contributing Partner
San Juan Story 2.jpgSan Juan Story 1.jpgHi, I thought some of you guys might get a kick out of a little article I wrote for the Diablo Sailing Club in 1978 and recently unearthed. My wife is on a cleaning kick and this popped up out of a file.

To give a little background, I bought the shell of a San Juan 26 brand new from the factory with the hull balsa cored instead of with a liner. No ports, bulkheads or anything else and commenced to build it to my custom interior design. By 1978, it was far enough along to try a cruise. I was living in San Francisco at the time and we thought a perfect shakedown cruise should be close to home so we chose the San Juan Islands. This is the little story.

I have two PowerPoint presentations on the original building of Ghost in 1976-1979 and the rebuilding of Ghost 2010-2012. The second one has a little clue as to why we have Terra Nova. Both of these were done for two presentations to the Port Angeles Yacht Club. If anyone is actually interested in this kind of stuff, send me an E-mail at rwm91@hotmail. com and I will forward you the link.

Bob Morrison
e-34 "Terra Nova"

Attachments

• San Juan Story 3.jpg
    San Juan Story 3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 145

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Oops!

Well, that was interesting. The order of the pages changed and the pages turned out in different formats. I guess I don't have this attaching down yet. Hopefully, the pages are readable even if they are jumbled.

Bob

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very nice. Makes me miss typewriters--the writing was better.

(The forum photo loading software is going south faster and faster. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often you wind up with an "attachment" that either won't appear, is too large, or can't be moved around.)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
attachments and puzzles

Very nice. Makes me miss typewriters--the writing was better.

(The forum photo loading software is going south faster and faster. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often you wind up with an "attachment" that either won't appear, is too large, or can't be moved around.)

FWIW, one of the quirks of this particular software is that it is convinced that attachments look best as "pictures". I discovered many years ago that text files are better if kept in some sort of easily-readable text format like a PDF. Having said that I have also had the upload feature refuse what it considered to be a "large" PDF file size.
Perhaps Bob can re-save his documents as separate PDF pages and u/l those.
Plan B: send the files - if available as any sort of word processor file - to me and I can noodle around with 'em for a bit.

And, after all that lame excuse stuff, I have also occasionally had a picture u/l as a fixed image and not an indexed JPEG, and am puzzled when that happened.

Loren

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I feel like I am there with you Bob. Great account of a wonderful trip. 100 ft trees? Cool!

it seems like the more I tune in to EYO I learn more about the Pacific NW. You guys have it made up there.
Rick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, short of obtaining a text conversion application and running the images through it.... and then correcting all the errors (been there and done that in past eons). I took the images that Bob sent to me and re-saved them all as JPEG's. One was a bit-map image, and that might have caused it to upload with some display problems here.

Not sure if this is any improvement, but will re-import them all. I did reduce their size by cropping out the margins to reduce the amount of pixels needed.
They are each very readable on my screen and can be enlarged or reduced at will; I'm not sure how that will work here, though.

Loren

ps: reading them on the site is OK, but dragging them off to my desktop now shows that the site software has arbitrarily reduced the pixel density as they were uploaded. Hmmm.... they can be enlarged now, when dragged to my desktop, but the text is faint and not quite so easy to read.
"Two steps forward, and one step back..."
:(

Attachments

• San Juan Trip 2.jpg
    San Juan Trip 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 41
  • San Juan Trip 1.jpg
    San Juan Trip 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 68
  • San Juan Trip 3.jpg
    San Juan Trip 3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Old Story Redo

Loren,

Much better. You worked some of your magic! If I would quit playing around with boats, old sports cars, building new houses, etc., etc. I would have more time to get frustrated playing with computers. I have some articles I could upload (New Raratan Elegance Head, new remote fuel gauge, etc. as soon as I figure the best way to shrink the pixels of my photographs in Picasa 3. The photos are saved in My Pictures in the original form and shrunk to the smaller pixels when imported to Picasa. When they are attached to e-mails etc., the computer pulls them from My Pictures.

I have been using the attachments button for attachments. I noticed that there is also an insert image button. Would that have worked better in this case?

I'll get there.