old/new cockpit engine panel hybrid?

LPBlues

Member I
Hi all,
I'm re-powering from my original A4 to a Beta diesel and I have an issue with the cockpit panel. I really like the old wooden one that the boat currently has and it also houses some additional stuff that the Beta 'C' panel doesn't (fuel gauge, 4 light pull switches and a power outlet for my auto helm). My plan was to get a replacement wood panel built that could accommodate the C panel at one end and the left over stuff at the other. The existing panel isn't mounted well anyway and is looking a bit rough. How would you handle this issue?

Here's what I have currently and below that is a link to the Beta panels if you're interested. The C panel is 11.75" x 6.5"
IMG_0199.jpg

http://betamarine.co.uk/seagoing-control-panels/

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since I (meaning you) like the panel, I (meaning you) would just refinish it and mount it correctly. It looks in pretty good shape in the photo.

If the I were me, I would make it my first vacuum bagged carbon fiber project, which would take two months and probably drive me crazy. But carbon fiber instrument panels are way cool and a common project in kit aviation and autos.

I'm pretty sure there's a thriving market for new panels, and several companies out there will let you customize a template in various materials.

LPBlues

Member I
Thanks Christian,
I do like the panel but the new Beta panel comes with some nice features, alarms, trouble indicator lights, stop button (not really necessary) all hooked up with a nice new wiring harness and I don't see an easy way to make that stuff work on the existing panel as is. I think given that position, I need a hybrid of some kind.