Old E27 Gooseneck and Boom

Dave Hussey

Member III
New Gooseneck and Boom on my E27

And here's a picture of my NEW gooseneck and boom! Hoorah!

Attachments

• new gooseneck and boom.JPG
    new gooseneck and boom.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 3,495

Dave Hussey

Member III
Here's the rest of the story:
I bought BlueWing two years ago, and found I needed to replace the boom, which had a crack behind the vang bale and was bent severely in the middle, probably the victim of a violent flying jibe. The search for a suitable boom led me all over the internet, and ironically right back to Seattle, to a client of the local Pacific Seacraft dealer who had actually owned my boat, and had sold her to the person I purchased her from. The boom is brand new, made by LeFiell for the Dana 24 it came off of. Would I go this route again? Probably not, because I spent about the same amount of money as had I had one made by LeFiell specifically for my boat in the first place...I had to buy the custom mounting bracket, the gooseneck, and all the other bits and pieces to complete the rigging... Am I happy with the outcome? Heck ya! I can finally sail !!!!! As for the bracket...I think it is overkill, and I dont like all the holes in the mast. But I bet it is bomb proof. Maybe someday I'll have all the holes welded closed, and have the tabs for the gooseneck pin welded directly onto the mast. What does the Ericson community think about the outcome? Comments? Suggestioins? Thanks folks. Hope to see you on the water this summer!
Dave Hussey

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Nice job!

Looks very stout and beefy! I am guessing you are now using a "D" shackle to attach the mainsail tack to the gooseneck (since you no longer have the original style attachment)?

Enjoy!

Dave Hussey

Member III
Hi Seth
yes, you are correct. There are still a lot of details to finish: I have to rig the reefing tackle, which is internal. It'll lead forward, then down to the deck, then aft to the cockpit, so I can reef the main without leaving the helm. Pretty high tech eh? :D I'll add lazy jacks in the future, and an autohelm...:egrin:

ragamuffin

Member II
Gooseneck height

Nice boom/gooseneck setup Dave. I am thinking of permanently fixing my gooseneck to my mast. (it is now on a slider and is a pain to reef). How high did you mount your gooseneck from the deck? What is the optimal boom height on a E-27?

sleather

Sustaining Member
Dave, Nice fix

Hang on to that old "slider bracket", It's the same E23-E27, at least my E23.

The PO of my boat broke the original cast one, so he had 2 machined, so I have a spare, might be some folks out there that would want the old one.

Last edited:

ragamuffin

Member II
Where to bolt gooseneck

I will re phrase my question. Where did you permanently bolt your new gooseneck to on your mast? Did you bolt it over the slider entrance slot? ( not sure what it is called):confused: Sorry if I am being a pain with this question.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Ragamuffin, I'm assuming you have the same gooseneck as Daves "before" pic, as do I on my E23. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow of "my" reefing "fix", it's quick and requires no modifications, just a part.

Dave Hussey

Member III
Ooops, sorry Ragamuffin, I overlooked your question...(my original post is over a year old and I didnt read up past Sleather's comment)
I dont have the dimmensions at hand since Blue Wing is moored a distance away :esad:
My mast had a painted band marking the point where the sail foot should be, and the new boom is mounted so that the sail foot is at the same location. The gray wrap-around -the-mast bracket to which the gooseneck pivot tabs are welded is bolted to the mast. The mast luff gate hole is up about a foot from there if my memory is correct. But it is not blocked by the gooseneck bracket. I do want to block it off someday, using one of the ideas posted to this group, because raising the sail or dousing it is complicated when it falls out of the slot...it is a three hand act some times!

Last edited:

ragamuffin

Member II
Thanks for the reply, nothing has happened to the mast or boom, however the sliding gooseneck is a pain to reef (for me anyway) . So I thought if bolted it in place and the correct height I would be able to reef it easier. So I searched the forum and that is how a came upon your post from a year ago Maybe I just need a reefing 101 class for the E27. Jiffy reefing, :esad: not in my opinion.

If I try to reef I can not get the reef point into the reef bracket? Without taking the sail track bolt off. I am obviously doing something wrong.

So any help will be greatly appreciated.

sleather

Sustaining Member
My Rig

Ragamuffin, well here's mine, the mast looks a little squirrely cause it's on the trailer(long story)

Boom, I added the tack hook, mounted outside the tack fitting, it's attached w/ a nylock so it's not real tight(it stays in front of the bolt rope w/ the main full-up), the line on the base of the slide gets cleated on the mast.

Mast, notice cleat for boom tie down(downhaul). The piece above it, in the track is some alum. bar to set the height of the boom. Once it's on, the boom stays in the cleated position. After feeding the sail slides into the "slot"(raise sail) secure w/ stop(which also remains in place). My main is designed so that when you "reef" the "new" sail tack fits over the "hook" and you re-tension the halyard. Since I don't know what yours looks like that's about all I can say.

I have 2 reef points in my main and it's designed such that all the sail slides just stack up on the "stop" and you can pull the "new" tack down to the hook! Good Luck!!!

We should be out there today, "using" those reefs!!!!

Attachments

• BOOM.JPG
    BOOM.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 232
  • mast2.JPG
    mast2.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

ragamuffin

Member II
That's how mine is set up. You described it exactly like I thought I should reef. I will take some pics on Saturday to illustrate my issue a little better.:esad:

Thanks.

where there's a will there's a way!