Old COMBI Data Instrument

Gmilburn

Member III
Before I tear out the old stock COMBI Depth and Speed Gauge from my cockpit (I hate having anything aboard that doesn't work) I thought I would ask the group if they know of anyone that might repair the unit--or whether it is a total lost cause. I plan on ordering a new Garmin GPSMAP unit and installing, but before I invest nearly a thousand dollars, I thought I would give it one more chance. I have search the web and talked to many of "old salts" and they all agree it is probably more useful OFF the boat as an antique paperweight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Attachments

• DSCF1969c.JPG
    DSCF1969c.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1954c.JPG
    DSCF1954c.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 63

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have one of those as well and it actually still works. Mine does not have all the numbers around the outside edge. I need a replacement speed transducer as the one that is attached to the unit does not fit in the through hull fitting; the diameter of the transducer is smaller than the trough hull. The through hull has a plug in it now, but if you spin the paddle wheel on the transducer it does register on the display. Not sure what the story is about the through hull fitting being larger than the transducer. The depth transducer is fine.

The trim ring on yours is in much better shape than mine, which is mounted above the wheel pedestal on the top of the pedestal guard. With everything else I have done on the boat lately I figured if it ain't broke why replace it, even if it is kind of ugly...

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There was said to be a guy somewhere in central California supposedly doing repairs on these classy-looking by old instruments about 15 years ago...
I have not heard a thing further since. Try an inquiry to the Letters section of Latitude 38.

An '83 Ericson in our YC had one of these cool-looking Combi's and it wasn't working (boat was purchased used) -- so he paid a yard to glass in the opening and apply matching gel coat when new instruments were installed. Making a large hole go away and be invisible takes time and skill... yours or someone else's ($$) . :rolleyes:

I have fixed holes and divots over the years and strength was never a problem, but exactly matching old gel coat colors is maddening!
:nerd:

Best,
Loren

ps: a quick Google search found this repair referral, but it was in a sailing forum with messages going back a decade! :(
Miller Marine , (904) 388-3690 , Jacksonville, Fl 32210 , Al Meunier, President

Last edited: