Oil Spil Question

Howard Keiper

OK, I'm one of the SF oil spill casualties, not a major thing for Sea Quest, and we'll have her cleaned ASAP. The question is though, since her bottom had been painted a few days before launch (Trinidad SR) and the launch occurred exactly one day before the accident, and I'm told that she'll have to be hauled and cleaned in the yard, which I have no objection to; but will it be necessary to take any heroic (expensive) measures to re paint the entire bottom? I've heard that once the hull has been hauled after a fresh paint, that the whole thing has to be redone. I say that's crazy...but I've been wrong before...once.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Soft or hard

Seems to me that it depends on what kind of bottom paint was used. If it was a "soft" (ablative) type then after the hulls is cleaned (possibly with a power washer?) then you'll probably need another coat because the cleaning process will take away a lot of the ablative paint with the spray. But if it's a "contact leaching" paint like Pettit Trinidad, West Marine BottomPro Gold or Interlux Ultra then maybe not. These are hard paints and can probably take a cleaning better. If you know what kind of paint was used then I suggest contacting the manufacturer for their opinion. Although it won't surprise me if they say, "Put another coat on." :rolleyes:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Don't Worry

Howard- Don't worry about the bottom paint. Haul her, clean her, drop her back in the H2O. All will be fine. Rob Hessenius

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Some bottom paints "expire" after two weeks exposure to air. Check with the manufacturer to find out if yours is one. I know that's one reason I use Interlux Micron, because it's a soft paint that isn't affected by being out of the water, so you can put it in the water in the spring without repainting.

Nate