Oil Pressure questions

Luffin it

Member I
This is a 1979 Atomic Four in my Ericson 27 "Luffin It". I've got 18 hours on my completly overhauled engine. I added fresh water cooling, PCV value, Oil filter system all from Indigo Electronics. Everything else was from MMI including the Overhaul book. When I start the engine the oil pressure is at 40 psi. Once I motor for an hour or so at about 5.5 knots the pressure drops to around 20 or less, and when I go back to idle it goes lower. It set off the low pressure alarm so I shut it down and sailed an hour. Then I started it again and it was back at 40 psi. I have installed two gauges, one with the electrical sending unit and one which is the little tube type reading direct pressure. Does anyone have any answers before I pull the motor out and start over. I have new bearings, pistion and rings ect. I had all the machine work measured and double checked before I assembled it. The motor runs great other than the oil pressure issure.:confused:

wanderer

Member II
check on moyer's site.

sounds like the ole "oil pressure regulating valve" syndrome.

wealth of knowledge on don's site

HGSail

Member III
I have the same problem, But mine doesn't go below 20lbs. I rebuilt mine last winter and everything is great but that. The only thing that I changed is that I added the oil shutoff switch. I'm wondering, Do you have or did you add this when you rebuilt? As for your idle problem, Did you replace your springs for your centrifical advance? If not, do. If the springs do not bring the weights back your timing will be to far advanced for the rpms, And will slow the engine at idle.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Last edited: