Oil Level

Brian K

Member III
I've got the Universal M25XP engine in my 1988 E-32-200 and find it very difficult to determine what the true oil level is. I check the oil level every day I leave the dock. When I first check it after the boat has been sitting all week there is next to nothing on the dipstick. If I clean the stick and put it back in, pull it out again, it shows an over full situation. What is the true reading?

Suggestions?

(Yeah, yeah, I know, the dipstick is trying to read the dipstick!!!)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have the same engine model. What happens is that the rubber seal at the top of the dip stick works good enough that when you run the engine the oil level drops in the tube and the oil cannot easily rise back up to its static level (engine off).
When you pull the stick out, wipe it clean anyway, and re-insert it and withdraw it again. It will then show the true oil level.

Loren

HughHarv

Hugh
Normal Oil Level

I'm thinking your checking oil correctly but engine angle relative to dipstick location in block (forward or aft) could affect your indicated oil level. To find out more about this you could change the oil & filter, following the quantity of oil spec'd and filter size for your engine. Then, run the engine for a few minutes to distribute the oil in the filter & block. Finally, check the oil level immediately after, to arrive at a "full" reading for your engine on your stick. I think the main goal is to have enough oil in the engine to be able to find some oil on the stick close to the standard marks.

Brian K

Member III
Hugh, I did that and know that I filled the engine to the proper level.

Loren, I really think your explanation fits what I'm seeing. I'll play with breaking the seal slightly and see if I get a consistant reading.

Thanks!!

P.S. My next question will be about an inconsistent tach.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
barometric pressure

I think what happens is that the oil in the dipstick tube responds to any change that has occurred in the barometric pressure. The crankcase, behind the oil is a closed system. If the barometer has risen, the oil has been pushed down the tube. It may then rebound. Try opening the oil fill cap for a minute, removing the dipstick, then re-insert the dipstick and you will get a better reading.