Oil Leak - E 38-200 & 32 hp Universal

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Continuing adventures of Nakesa - we have a small oil leak: the relief hose from the crankcase is dripping oil at about 1 drip per second / engine temp is > 185 degrees when we are running over 2,000 rpm's; under 2,000, the temp is 180 & oil is less than 1 drip per minute.

Oil level on the dipstick has been ok for our entire trip - right on the mark. I noticed this morning however that the oil level was well above the dipstick line.

As always, any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks & regards,

Kerry

treilley

Sustaining Partner
What does the oil look like right after the engine has been running? Chocolate milkshake? How is the coolant level? It sounds like you may have coolant leaking into the crankcase. That is the only reason I can imagine for the oil level to go up.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Blow-by?

Another possibility could be engine blow-by. That's when the fuel and gases inside the cylinder leak past the piston rings into the crankcase. A small amount leaking from the crankcase ventilation tube is normal, but what you have sounds excessive, and might explain the increase in oil level if the blow-by liquid (mostly diesel fuel) is diluting your oil.

I would think a compression test would help suggest if this is a likely concern. We had a constant but manageable amount of blow-by liquid, but the fumes in the cabin while running the engine were pretty bad. So I redirected the crankcase ventilation tube to the side of the air intake to suck the fumes back into the engine. Not sure whether it was a good idea or not, but the cabin fumes were at least gone.

Last edited:

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Thnx for the replies - Oil is dark/black & doesn't have any coolant present.

Blow-buy seems to be the situation - will keep it at lower rpm's & have the mechanic check compression, which had been done when we bought her, 3 months ago; pressure was good in all 4 cylinders with only one at the lower range of acceptability per the mechanical surveyor. This is the 1st time the engine has been run for 1.5 years & winds have been light, so we have been running up to 6 hours a day.

regards,

Kerry

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Oil level on the dipstick has been ok for our entire trip - right on the mark. I noticed this morning however that the oil level was well above the dipstick line.
Kerry

Keep a very close eye on this! Oil does NOT mysteriously multiply. If the level on the dipstick is rising then you have a major problem on your hands. It can only be three things causing this. Coolant, fuel or raw water. Generally if there is coolant or water in the oil it will turn milky when the engine has been run. It is highly possible that a seal in the IP has gone bad and there is diesel fuel being dumped into the engine. The oil will not show any sign that fuel has contaminated it! You likely will not be able to smell it. The oil dripping is likely excess blowby caused by the overfull crankcase. This is a big problem. Diesel fuel is way too thin to provide lubrication and you will kill the bearings in short order if there is enough dilution. Keep a very close watch on the dipstick level and strongly consider having the oil tested for fuel contamination.

See to this immediately or you may be buying a new engine.

RT