Oil dipstick question

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Our oil dipstick does not firmly stay in place when it's stowed. In fact it seems like it's more or less held in place by gravity more than anything else. Seems like in a knockdown it could easily dislodge and allow oil to spill. Is this normal? Is there a way to secure it more firmly in place? We have a Universal 5432. Thanks in advance...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My Universal Diesel ('88 M25XP model) has a ribbed black rubber "collar" around the dip stick shaft where it meets the dip stick tube, and this friction-locks it into place. Perhaps the one for your engine is missing?

Loren

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
My Universal Diesel ('88 M25XP model) has a ribbed black rubber "collar" around the dip stick shaft where it meets the dip stick tube, and this friction-locks it into place. Perhaps the one for your engine is missing?

Loren

Thank you Loren. Ours has the rubber collar you describe but there's not much friction... Maybe it's worn?

Anyone else have any experience with this to add to Loren's post?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have the same engine as Loren and the same situation with the dipstick. If it was too loose I might go to a Kubota dealer to see if they have a replacement dipstick at a reasonable price. The Universal dipstick from marine Diesel Direct is $25 which is too rich for my taste. For that price I would get a small section diameter O-ring and epoxy it to the existing collar to increase the diameter & friction. McMaster-Carr has a good selection of O-rings at a good price if you can't find some locally.

If you do increase the friction remember that you have to remove the dipstick before taking a reading to get an accurate level.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Great info, thank you!

I have the same engine as Loren and the same situation with the dipstick. If it was too loose I might go to a Kubota dealer to see if they have a replacement dipstick at a reasonable price. The Universal dipstick from marine Diesel Direct is $25 which is too rich for my taste. For that price I would get a small section diameter O-ring and epoxy it to the existing collar to increase the diameter & friction. McMaster-Carr has a good selection of O-rings at a good price if you can't find some locally.

If you do increase the friction remember that you have to remove the dipstick before taking a reading to get an accurate level.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Exact same experience

Ryan,
Perhaps I'm a bit late to jump in on this. I noticed the same thing with our dipstick when we bought the boat a few years ago. It especially bothered me because my previous dipsticks have always been a snug fit. It hasn't fallen out yet or spattered oil. In a knockdown the stick might stay put, but the oil would spill out of the crankcase. I put the new dipstick on a shopping list a few years ago, but for some reason never bought it. I'm pretty sure that the Kubota number is right on the stick. In the parts catalog it ends with 36410. The first 4 numbers probably don't make much difference but I think it is 15221-36410. If I were leaving on your trip, I'd get one.
Mike

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Ryan,
Perhaps I'm a bit late to jump in on this. I noticed the same thing with our dipstick when we bought the boat a few years ago. It especially bothered me because my previous dipsticks have always been a snug fit. It hasn't fallen out yet or spattered oil. In a knockdown the stick might stay put, but the oil would spill out of the crankcase. I put the new dipstick on a shopping list a few years ago, but for some reason never bought it. I'm pretty sure that the Kubota number is right on the stick. In the parts catalog it ends with 36410. The first 4 numbers probably don't make much difference but I think it is 15221-36410. If I were leaving on your trip, I'd get one.
Mike

Great tip Mike, thank you. I found this link- http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx Entering "L345" for the model number lets you easily find every Kubota part number for our engine. You were correct about the dipstick number. They call it "Gauge Oil" (that threw me off at first...) Easy to find online from there. This forum rocks!

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I believe there are one or two grooves on the collar for O rings.

You're right Gary, thank you. I checked last night and our o-rings are oily but in good shape. Even so (and with the slight friction they provide) the stick is too loose for my comfort. I will likely try thicker o-rings but am also interested in a more secure method if anyone knows of one (for example the spring idea).

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
re: Kubota parts list

Ryan,
I have used that online catalog site several times, also usually using L345. As I'm sure you know, the L345 used a V1501 block. My engine (and probably yours, too) is a V1502. (Mine is Number V1502-18152.) They are similar and share most parts, but you must be careful to check whether the specific part in the catalog seems to match your engine. That site is for Kubota tractors and there is no similar site that I have found for engines which were not ever used in tractors, such as our V1502. Universal/Westerbeke must like it that way because they have such a HUGE markup on their repackaging, renumbering and selling of Kubota parts. The V1502 was used in some sort of forklift or similar lift vehicle as well as by Universal. Also, the Kubota parts dealers are divided into tractor dealers and other divisions. The tractor dealers do not have catalogs for engines not used in the tractors. All of their computer lookups (at least in my local Kubota dealership) are based on tractor model number.
Also, if you need a tractor part for your engine, often an online tractor store at Ebay may have it at much less than Kubota. I bought a brand new water pump (the big belt driven centrifugal one that looks like a tongue on the front of the engine) from Ebay along with a gasket for $70. At Marine Parts Direct through Torresen Marine, the cost of these two parts is $722.92! (I just looked.) At Kubota the pump and gasket were quoted at about $130. All of these are the identical Kubota part. Shop carefully!
Mike

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Ryan,
I have used that online catalog site several times, also usually using L345. As I'm sure you know, the L345 used a V1501 block. My engine (and probably yours, too) is a V1502. (Mine is Number V1502-18152.) They are similar and share most parts, but you must be careful to check whether the specific part in the catalog seems to match your engine. That site is for Kubota tractors and there is no similar site that I have found for engines which were not ever used in tractors, such as our V1502. Universal/Westerbeke must like it that way because they have such a HUGE markup on their repackaging, renumbering and selling of Kubota parts. The V1502 was used in some sort of forklift or similar lift vehicle as well as by Universal. Also, the Kubota parts dealers are divided into tractor dealers and other divisions. The tractor dealers do not have catalogs for engines not used in the tractors. All of their computer lookups (at least in my local Kubota dealership) are based on tractor model number.
Also, if you need a tractor part for your engine, often an online tractor store at Ebay may have it at much less than Kubota. I bought a brand new water pump (the big belt driven centrifugal one that looks like a tongue on the front of the engine) from Ebay along with a gasket for $70. At Marine Parts Direct through Torresen Marine, the cost of these two parts is $722.92! (I just looked.) At Kubota the pump and gasket were quoted at about $130. All of these are the identical Kubota part. Shop carefully!
Mike

Yes I knew about 1501 v 1502 but good looking out, thank you. What I did not know about was the ebay tractor store. If the pump you're describing is your engine's fresh water pump then $70 is a SCORE! I've been looking for one but haven't found less than $100 yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Yessir, that is exactly right. Have done it.

I like this idea! Can you please describe more details? How'd you attach the spring to the engine (drill and tap or something more creative?) Any particular spring you found works best? Anything in particular you learned that works well or not? Thank you!

clp

Member III
I can't think offhand where I'd attach it on your motor, but a simple bracket off of about anything would work. The spring is not really holding much. Exhaust pipes on old Harleys were held on that way for years. You might get lucky and source a stainless spring, but it shouldn't matter. The engine is not stainless..

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I can't think offhand where I'd attach it on your motor, but a simple bracket off of about anything would work. The spring is not really holding much. Exhaust pipes on old Harleys were held on that way for years. You might get lucky and source a stainless spring, but it shouldn't matter. The engine is not stainless..

Cool thank you. I figured maybe you had some super trick way to do it but it sounds like this is another case of "keep it simple"