offloading a e23 from trailer....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
how does one get a e23 off the trailer, onto stands
for a few months w/out a forklift or overhead crane?

:cool:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Off Loading

Rbonnila- Just tip the trailer over and pick up the boat off the ground. Just kidding. I saw a couple of guys use I-beams and trumpet jacks(might not be the exact name, but the look just like a trumpet sitting on its end piece). They made jigs (Cradles)to hold the boat flat. The height that it was lifted off at was their working height. They built up the stands and keel platform. The also let the air out of the tires for that extra clearance. Two man job. Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Sorry -- this isn't my thread but it's an interesting question and I don't understand a lot of Rob's terminology. What's a trumpet jack? Google doesn't shed any light. And a gig? How do you get the trailer outta there without sweeping the supports away?

rbonilla

tip it off the trailer, ea? how do i do the other side?:cool:

right 'o ..... or...... "whats that crunching sound" ? ...... thanx...i can sorta picture the i beams and jacks...another person tipped me to play with the air pressure in the tyres....and, yea...at least a two man job, ea ..... i will ley you all know how we get it done...or, if we just leave it on the trailer and try to work on it then.....i would much rather get it on stands as the bottom needs a lot of work and is quite rough.....thanx !! :egrin:

Rbonnila- Just tip the trailer over and pick up the boat off the ground. Just kidding. I saw a couple of guys use I-beams and trumpet jacks. They made gigs to hold the boat flat. The height that it was lifted off at was their working height. They built up the stands and keel platform. The also let the air out of the tires for that extra clearance. Two man job. Rob Hessenius

Bob in Va

Member III
Another possibility

I'm lucky to have a brother-in-law just down the road who lets me hang my boat in his barn. We installed loops of chain on 4 of the 6X6 posts up in the rafters, then hang BIG ratchet tie-down straps from them and run them under the boat. Two come-alongs help us crank the boat up, snugging up the straps as we go. Then drive the trailer out from underneath. Everything is redundant and has a safety factor of about 5 to 1. So if you can find a building with a big door, vacant room, and strong overhead structure, go to it!

rbonilla

yea, nice Bob...this would be a great set up for me, as it would allow me do do some long term work on the e23, w/out being too rushed....i am working on a lead...on a buddie that has a ranch, w 5 10 acers...pleanty of room, and some forklifts and other trucks avail to get her lifted off the trailer onto stands that are nice and high....so as to make working on the bottom not at a bad level...or should i say, a back aching angle...if ya get my drift...

related question for e23 folks: the bottom is very rough, after 20 years of sitting in the salt water...the keel appears to be soild, bolts look from the cabin...sealed, no cracks, on tight....etc........going under the boat, i can see where the fiberglass has deteorated and the lead or steel is exposed on parts of the keel...also, where the keel transitions to the hull is cracked and in need of re glassing...actually, it looks like i should rough up and re glass the whole keel, up to and feather the area where the keel joins the hull...any folks don this b4? tips? materials? sugguestions?...i think the photos are still up on a past thread called "e23 skank bottom"...she is very rough and this bottom area is where i am guessing 70% of my $$ and labor will be spent...as always...thanx for any tips and/or help !!...richard / colorado

:D

I'm lucky to have a brother-in-law just down the road who lets me hang my boat in his barn. We installed loops of chain on 4 of the 6X6 posts up in the rafters, then hang BIG ratchet tie-down straps from them and run them under the boat. Two come-alongs help us crank the boat up, snugging up the straps as we go. Then drive the trailer out from underneath. Everything is redundant and has a safety factor of about 5 to 1. So if you can find a building with a big door, vacant room, and strong overhead structure, go to it!