Oday 31 vs Morgan 32? Open to any comments on performance & flaws.

SAM

"Nauti Jo"
Hi,
Revisiting this site because of it being frequinted by many sharp individuals. Sold my E28 two years ago and looking for a replacement. Came across the 2 boats mentioned that I am not overly familiar with and am looking for some feedback. 1983 Morgan displ. is 11,000 lbs. vs. 10,400 for the 1986 Oday. Like both but feel the Oday would be easier to resell if needed due to the more modern look and # of boats built with a good following. Morgan has a "saltier" look and appears to be rugged and maybe faster even though the Oday waterline is a bit longer. The Morgan with a beam of 11'6 and pinched stern vs. 10'9 beam on the Oday makes me wonder how well she will point? Both have 4' fixed keels great for the upper Chesapeake. Also the Oday can be had for about 5K less. Both are in equally really good condition. Any one have comments on performance or quality issues?
Thank you,
Sam

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Better go aboard the ODay and check out the head dimensions. The 31 is (AFAK) the former 30 but with a different stern. We could have got a good deal on an ODay 30, long before we found our Olson, but the OD-30 had one of the smallest head compartments I have ever seen on a boat of that size and disp. The molded-in sink was almost right over the toilet. What with it having a slow reputation anyway, we kept right on searching.

That Morgan might have some keel attachment issues, but if you see a smile, just keep looking. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the more extreme IOR designs anyhow.

You might want to look around for an Ericson 32-2, 30-2 or 30+.

Drop your questions in over at Sailnet and SBO, also.

Best,
Loren

Last edited: