October - Lake Michigan - Warm sailing

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
Going for a sail today on Lake Michigan off Racine, WI. Expected high today - 86F - half my harbor is tucked away for winter and I will be enjoying a summer like sail today. In one week they shut off the water.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Rare Days

Good for you!!! My boat usually stays in untill FIRST ICE, latest "pull" date Dec. 13(after being "frozen" in for 3 weeks). It's fun sailing past the "duck hunters", I have actually had BB's "rain" down on my sails. Grab it while you can, the season HERE is way too short!!!!

Last edited:

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Warm Sailing-Lake Michigan

It is hard to imagine not being able to sail all year round like we are able to in Southern California. We went out yesterday with just about perfect weather. Temperature was in the 80ties and a steady wind of about 12 knots. I am thankful every day and never take this place for granted.
Bill Upchurch
E35II #203
Cabrillo Beach YC

sleather

Sustaining Member
Please Don't Hurt Me

Up here in Da Nort, we have to "live for the moment" and indulge in other pastimes during the "HARD"(not to be confused w/ being "on" the HARD)

Saturday & Sunday's high temp. "here" was 84, and those 12's of yours made it all the way up here! So for the moment "equality for all"

Right Now it's 57 w/ winds out of the NW @ 32mph--Payback Time!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The wife and I spent Friday-through-Monday on the boat here is lovely New England. We have been having an exceptional Fall, very warm and moderate winds. We don't think about decommissioning until Thanksgiving and are back in the water by the end of March. Yup, we're the nutjobs with fleece-n-foulies late fall and early spring. We draw the line at freezing and anything over 45* is sailing weather. The bay is beautiful this time of year and there are hardly any boats out. If we couldn't get a 6 month season then it just wouldn't be worth it..... :egrin: RT

sleather

Sustaining Member
Yup, we're the nutjobs with fleece-n-foulies late fall and early spring. We draw the line at freezing and anything over 45* is sailing weather. The bay is beautiful this time of year and there are hardly any boats out. If we couldn't get a 6 month season then it just wouldn't be worth it..... :egrin: RT

:egrin:People after my own heart! The "gear" just adds a touch of "nautical style"!
Let's see April 15-Nov. 1=6 1/2, I usually "just" make it!!!!!! That does include some "gray" time(no leaves)

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Shoulder season sailing

I am a nutjob too! Although it has been awhile, I regularly used to sail from mid March (University's Spring Break) to Veteran's day earlier November in western Washington.

The shoulder seasons offered good winds and no one else on the water, empty ports and inexpensive moorings. Job, marriage, children, home renovations and grad school have slowed me down some.

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
The shoulder seasons offered good winds and no one else on the water, empty ports and inexpensive moorings. Job, marriage, children, home renovations and grad school have slowed be down some.

The first trip I ever did to the Apostle Islands, Wi. was in mid August. NO wind, LOTSA boats, and BLACK FLIES everywhere! I almost "gave up" on the notion of returning!
Since then all of my "outdoor adventures" in the Midwest are done in late Sept., solving ALL the aforementioned problems!

Being totally "unencumbered" has it's own drawbacks!

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Speaking of "Nutjobs"

My wife and I are also members of the NJ association. We sail year around. Because our Lake (Lake Pend Oreille) in North Idaho has a depth of over 1,000feet, it doesn't freeze over where we typically sail. Yep, we shovel (well I do) snow off the boat and go sailing in the Winter. Snow on the mountains and just a few fisherman out. The lake is almost ours. It helps that we have the Espar heat in the cabin.

For some reason, people look at me like I'am loony when I tell them we winter sail. But you just have to wear the proper gear and smile. A couple snorts of Rum helps too. People ski in the winter right? Snow, cold and wind too.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Yep!

Yep, we shovel (well I do) snow off the boat and go sailing in the Winter.

Hey Kim, I like your Lake!(google maps)
I've pulled my boat 3 times in a"blizzard"(1/4m visibility) 2 miles to the ramp(bless 4 wheel drive).
Dropping the mast almost took on a whole new meaning! Used coffee grounds on the foredeck!
I had so much snow on the boat 1 day you couldn't tell what it was & it sat 2" low in the water! Pre-digital, maybe some scans!

I spent 15 years on "ski patrol"(another Midwest oxymoron) so I already had all the clothes and if the waters not "HARD", why not?

Last edited:

Bill Upchurch

Member II
sleather and kim

My hats off to both of you for your winter sailing. I don't think those of us from California are tough enough for the snow stuff.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Truth is that I have to get my fix (sailing). We are fortunate that we can go sailing in the Winter. If we couldn't, then I would probably get the Heebee Jeebee's. It helps to have the enclosure for the cockpit. Didn't have it last year and shoveling snow out of the cockpit is not a lot of fun. I had the upolsterer make windows on the Bimini so I can stand at the wheel and see forward and also l can see the mast head. We are looking forward this Winter to try sailing with the full enclosure. Normally hate to have the Bimini up while sailing but if it is real cold out...... Could even just do the motor boat thing and drive to one of the state park docks on the lake, tie up and have a chili feed or something with friends. Hot buttered rum? Yep.