Oberdorfer raw water pump leaking water

Bolo

Contributing Partner
It's a drain to use in the winter if the the pump is oriented correctly.
I just installed a Oberdorfer on my E32-3 and was wondering what the purpose of the cap screw was since as its oriented on the boat that screw points up at about a 45 degree angle so using it's useless as a winterizing drain. However, I installed a ball valve after the seacock but before the strain and pump, which has a length of hose on it that I can stick into a gallon jug of antifreeze for the winterizing. Closing the seacock and opening the ball valve to the jug allows me to suck antifreeze into the strainer, pump and then engine with very little trouble.

JSM

Member III
I rebuilt the Oberdorfer pump on my M25XP a few years ago using this video and the Oberdorfer repair kit. Fairly easy and a lot less than a new pump.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
After watching the video I realized the spacer washers have been missing from my pump since I got the boat. I haven't noticed anything unusual with operations and the impellers haven't shown any unusual wear. How critical are those things?

Fnagelmann

I'm having the leak problem in a brand new Oberdorfer. I tried adding gasket seal but still leaking. AFIK i can't buy just the gasket but need to buy the impeller and o-ring kit. Am I correct that the O-ring is not supposed to be used with the gasket (i.e either one or the other). Original had the gasket so I assumed that's the correct option.

jtsai

Member III
I am also experiencing a leak in a brand new Oberdofer installed barely over one year ago. Defender where I ordered the unit provided the email address below for customer service. I emailed them a picture of the unit with the model # and serial #. I encourage you to do the same. Two cases don't make a trend but I wonder if there was a production issue.

fluidpump.cs.qcy@gardnerdenver.com