OB motor prices

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are quite a number of Ericson owners with Outboard powered boats - 23, 25, and 27.
The subject of repowering seems to come up here regularly too.

It's been 20 years since we moved from our old sailboat with it's Yamaha Hi Thrust 9.9 extra long shaft, to our present inboard diesel boat.
I was at the local boat show today to tend to our yacht club booth and walked around to see what was for sale.

One of the larger outboard dealers had a full line of Yamaha OB engines on display.
The Hi Thrust 9.9, in the extra long shaft (25" leg), is.... you should be sitting down... cash price at the show.... $3260.

I obviously have not been cognizant of inflation and really have not been pricing out any of these for a long time, but that Certainly Did get my attention.
:0

Of course a replacement diesel for out boat that used to retail for 6 to 7K is now closer to 10K. And, so it goes.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

aj vollmer

Member I
A less expensive option?

As our diesel is fading, I've asked around about OBs and many have recommended Tohatsu motors.
Checking the web they seem to be well made and have a good reputation.
OnlineOutboards.com has a 9.8 hp with a 25 inch shaft and an electric start for around $2.2K which includes shipping.
I've contacted their customer service folks and they seem OK.

Though since this is a b/u while I fix the diesel (I'm going to try and do it myself so it will be a protracted adventure), I'm still wondering if a 6 hp SailPro for $1.5K would fit the bill,
even though I understand based on the experiences shared by others on this forum that it would be underpowered for routine use.

Anyone had any experience with Tohatsu OBs?

Appreciate any info.

Andy

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I have been using the 25" shaft, 9.8 HP Tohatsu on my E27 for the past 8 years. Had a carburetor fail last summer (floats and needle seat). Other than that, it's been great (quiet and smooth running). The 9.8 seems a bit overkill for my E27. Hull speed at half throttle. Also it is a bit heavy and does not fit well in the cutout.
I have always wondered about the 6HP being a better choice and would love to have more maneuverability (steering with the motor). However, the two cylinders have an easier time motoring to the bay in the Fall. The single cylinder 6HP doesn't look much narrower than the 9.8 because of the position of the shifter and the throttle arm. I guess I could mount it on a bracket and use the cutout for swim access. Maybe add a swim platform for the dog? Ahh... Maybe just keep the boat dollar and half (1500.00) and enjoy what seems to already work well.

lnill

Member III
I have a Tohatsu 9.8 on my RIB. It was under $2000. Not sure about Yamaha but the Tohatsu/Nissans are pretty finicky about gas. You should run them dry any time you are going to leave them sitting more than about a week or you run the risk of gumming up the carb.....a painful experience. Winterizing is mandatory as well. Other than that, it runs great.