O-911se original mast maker help

Griz

I've been the proud owner of a 1990 911se since last October. It's a great boat. Does anyone know who made the mast for this boat? I'd like to get a mast (mainsail) gate but don't know where to look.

Griz

Thanks Chris. I have a similar stopper. My problem is that, with the stopper in, the main headboard/halyard is about a foot higher than I can reach. I'd like to use a set of gates that would let the sail come farther down.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ericson was sourcing spars from Kenyon thru the 80's, and we have one on our O-34. I would love to have a two part hinged track closure of some sort also.

There used to be a pair of ss closure strips available from RigRite, but was a decade ago, and from what I could see, they were not meant for our particular section. They were screwed on and could not be hinged open and closed, either.

We could have used this tonight, as we needed a reef in for an evening sail and had to drop the slug-stop out to get the bottom two slugs out so the floppy ring could engage the tack horn.

It would be nice if someone finds the answer to this problem.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Griz

Loren,
Thanks for the info—I think it was exactly what I need. I checked the RigRite website and found that they still have gates for Kenyon masts. http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/4060-MORC.html Go down the page about half way to the Sailgate Slide conversion kit.

Search the Kenyon spars (link all the way at the bottom of the page) for other mast sections. Looks like they might have others to fit yours.

I agree, the slug stops are a pain—for several reasons.

Thanks again,
Griz

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Rigrite and CS

I've never delt with CS, but I have attempted to do business with Rigrite - one first class pain in the hinder region. I'd avoid them.

Best,
Frank

Slick470

Member III
SparCraft

Our 1990 911S has a SparCraft mast that was made by ISOMAT. The picture below is of the sticker on our mast. Rig-Rite has parts for them but I don't see the mainsail gate like we have on the site.

I unfortunately do not have a picture of the gate but can get one next time I'm out to the boat. Basically it is a piece of plastic that slides on two studs on the mast. This allows it to slide out of the way then slide back and lock into place over the opening in the groove.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 562

brianb00

O - 34
Sail slide solution for reefing main sail

Hello Loren,

I also have an O-34 (Red Sky). I have made a mast gate, or rather a closure bracket that sounds like the strips you describe in the write up. I used a pair of off the shelf straps that are commonly sold at WM, I believe these are Shafer products. I have attached to mast with #6 sheet metal screws. My mains are equipped with J106 sail slides. When single handing this allows very easy reefing. The down side is that the strips don'e have quite enough stiffness and occasionally on hoisting of the main, if you are not careful, one of the bottom two slides will pull out. A strip with a bent edge to add stiffness would be perfect. It is on my list to have this fabricated.

This addition has been a great added safety feature as I can reef in rough situations without spending time at the mast.

Brian

Ericson was sourcing spars from Kenyon thru the 80's, and we have one on our O-34. I would love to have a two part hinged track closure of some sort also.

There used to be a pair of ss closure strips available from RigRite, but was a decade ago, and from what I could see, they were not meant for our particular section. They were screwed on and could not be hinged open and closed, either.

We could have used this tonight, as we needed a reef in for an evening sail and had to drop the slug-stop out to get the bottom two slugs out so the floppy ring could engage the tack horn.

It would be nice if someone finds the answer to this problem.

Cheers,
Loren

Slick470

Member III
Here are the pictures of our mainsail gate on our Olson 911S. Open and closed.

Attachments

• IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 158