O-34 in single hand TransPac

exoduse35

Sustaining Member

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
:egrin:

FWIW I like my hank on head sails! Some of us regard both roller Furling and electric wenches as cheating. Sailing is not sailing if you can't even hoist the sails once in a while!:soapbox::offtopic:

Electric Wenches,eh?

Pictures please!
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
another Pat Quinn fan.........

Thanks Edd!
This reminds me of the time the crew over on the Cascadia Sailing List got sidetracked by a rather long and adroitly-humorous discussion of "self tailing wenches" after one little teeny spelling error...
;)

Ya meets a lotta interesting and erudite sailor folk on the 'net... even if they will always remain cyber-friends.

Cheers,

Loren

ps: remember, "it's just a jump to left...." :rolleyes:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Yes, YOU meet the strangest folks on the net. I have to remember its just a jump to the left... I play Riff Raff once a month and always at midnight! Some of us just seem to go through adolescence late!;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey Loren, is the 34 a George Olson design? Originally built in his shop Pacific Boat Works?

George reportedly built only one Olson 34 from his new tooling. He is usually credited as the designer of record. The overall design shows a strong influence from the Carl Schumacher Olson 911s, and the Express 34 and 37.

All of the remaining Olson 34's were constructed by Ericson Yachts, when they bought up the tooling for the Olson 34, O-911S, and the O-25 and put all three into production in 1988, continuing into 1990.

Loren

Last edited:
Olson

I liked his work! My dad and I stopped by his shop one time, they were friends, and George told us all about his vaccum bagging process. I went on to use it on many cold-molding projects to bag on veneers w/o staples. Made a nice look. George was just so open to teach the trade to new comers. The best in the trade, and he designed phenomenal boats. Congrats on a great boat!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Olson vs Schumacher

The 34 and 30/911S and 37 are essentially Schumacher designs, whether there are some strange design credits or not. If you look at all 3 of these designs the lineage is unmistakable..The 25 I am pretty sure was an Olson (as was the Olson 30 and 40).

At least I think so...:nerd:;)

Adios,
S

Starduff

Member II
O-34 Video

Many Thanks Loren!

Just came in from shoveling more snow. What a treat your video was. Provided a pleasurable moment of escape from winter.

Richard
Polonius, E-28

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks guys, but anyone can post up a link!
All praise to Paul for inspirational sailing and videos!
:egrin:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thanks Loren,

I really liked the videos and the music that went with them. They were really well done. They really put me in the mood to go sailing. I sent the link to all of my sailing friends.

The winter here in Minnesota has seemed longer than usual. Our weather had been relatively warm for about a week and a half with lots of snow melt, but we just got between 12" and 17" of snow depending on the part of the Minneapolis area you live in. Not a welcome event for me.

Thanks again,
Bob

Last edited: