North or South of the Border Why or Why Not

North or South for Rendez Vous

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wurzner

Member III
I believe we agreed in principle to try and move it North South each othe year. This would make the 2008 event a north of the border event. I'm posting this to see what response better understand what we can do to increase attendance. Last year, there were a lot more US boats for obvious reasons and I"m wondering how many US boats we will lose and how many Canadian boats we will pick up. Attendance last year was down suggesting more US boats are willing to head north and I would like to better understand this.

It is about 85 miles from Tacoma to Victoria, about the same distance as Vancouver to Port Townsend and Seattle to Sidney. For events held in the US, what is the primary deterent to attend. Is it crossing both the Straight of Georgia and Juan du Fuca (and possible the Haro Straights), dealing with customers officials, or just the time commitment?

thanks
shaun

mark reed

Member III
Hi Shaun,
Of course I'm expressing a minority opinion, coming from Portland. We are happy attending a rendezvous on either side of the border, and like the idea of going back and forth each year. We do most of our summer cruising in Canada, and so we are more likely to attend a rendezvous there.
Victoria would be the easiest and closest destination for us. We have been there once before and enjoyed it. Sounds like our Victoria hosts would put on a good time for all.
Our main deterrent the past 2 years has been the date, as we are both teachers and we usually have to work on the day before the Father's Day weekend.

maggie-k

Member II
Port Townshend Customs issue

There is a problem in sailing from Victoria to Port Townsend in that customs must be cleared in Roche Harbor or Friday. With the way the currents work it changes a 6 hour sail into a two day event. Returning is no problem as there is a customs station in Victoria.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Personally (and this is just me), I think that the best thing that can be done to assure a good turn out is to make the decision of location - ASAP. Once that's done, we spread the word, have the tee-shirts made up, get the prizes lined up and set up the event...

Lots of people have supported Victoria (both sides of the border) - and the sooner it's decided, the sooner (more) people will look at their schedules and decide they'll attend...and then we'll all have a great event...

So...Let's do it - in Victoria - it'll be a great time - we need to choose annual locations that are have a broad enough to ensure that everyone in the WA/BC area can attend anyhow - so let's do it!

:egrin:

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All,
I just looked at the US Customs web site, and it appears that Port Angeles would be an alternative for check-in, coming across the Straits from Victoria. Maybe.

(copy-pasted from their site)

Friday Harbor, WA
271 Front Street
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
(360) 378-2080

Roche Harbor, WA
195 Reuben Memorial Drive
Roche Harbor, WA 98250
(360) 378-2080

Point Roberts, WA
50 Tyee Drive
Point Roberts, WA 98230
(360) 945-2314

Anacortes, WA
1019 Q Avenue
Suite F
Anacortes, WA 98221
(360) 293-2331

Port Angeles, WA
138 West First Street
Suite 204
Port Angeles, WA 98362
(360) 457-4311

Northeastern Washington Waters
Oroville, WA
33643 Hwy 97
Oroville, WA 98844
(509) 476-2955
(Boaters should dock at Veterans State Park)

Loren

maggie-k

Member II
Port Townshend Customs issue

Clearing customs in Port Angeles on route to Port Townshend from Victoria adds about 15 NM to the trip for a total of about 45 miles with the delay at customs it is unlikely you could make the trip on one tide change. You don't want to be pushing into the tide on Juan De Fuca

Richard Elliott

Member III
Port Townsend

Are you sure that you cannot clear Customs in Port Townsend? I was fueling at the Public Marina (not Pt. Hudson) two years ago and just ahead of the fuel dock was a Customs dock.

maggie-k

Member II
Richard I called US customs this year on my way to Port Townshend and was informed that customs office no longer existed for pleasure boats and if I tried to check in there I would be turned around and sent to another point of entry.