non-skid (sand)

bigtyme805

Member III
Has anybody had any experience with using sand as non skid? I am in the process of redoing my deck and first I sanded then I painted with one part poly then laid the sand on top of paint then swept it, then repainted with two coats. It looks terrific.

The one thing i dont know is the durability of non skid.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Sven

Seglare
How did you get it even ?

The Dashews used crushed walnut shells or something like that for the non-skid down below and it too looked terrific.

-Sven

bigtyme805

Member III
Success

Hey Sven:

Thanks for responding. Getting it even was the trickiest. I had some guidance, when putting the sand make it look like a beach. Some guidance huh? I used silica sand, the thickest one available. It looks like new non-skid but I worry about the durability. I hope I can get 5 years out of it. I will post some pics to show you how it looks.

Guy Stevens

Non-Skid

You will get as long as the paint lasts out of it.

Better than sand, better than walnut shells (They have been used for years on VARNISHED soles in the boat), is ground up tennis balls.

I can't tell you how much better they are, really, I have no idea where the ground up stuff comes from, because it looks like no tennis ball I have ever seen. Much more non skid, much less abrasion on the body and cloths, and seems to help the paint last longer.

You can purchase them (it?) from Proline Paints in San Diego.

Guy
:)

bigtyme805

Member III
Guy

I have heard it all TENNIS BALLS! If it works it works... Well if the sand does not work I will strip the whole thing down and totally redo the non skid.

Thanks for the advise Guy..