No or very little water in the exhaust?

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi all

Last Sunday we went for a day sail and on the return when we fired up the diesel there was no water coming out with the exhaust, maybe a couple of drops. The anti siphon vent was putting out a good stream of water so I know that there was cooling water going into the heat exchanger.
Does anyone have any good suggestions what to look for first when I go down to start trouble shooting the problem?

Thanks for any help
Greg

newgringo

Member III
Greg,
I don't have an answer but it does not sound good. I think the very first think I would do is make sure no water went where you do not want it - in the engine oil or cylinders. Then, my off the wall guess is the exhaust elbow seawater mixer is plugged or restricted. Just a guess. That would explain good water out the anti siphon vent and low water in the exhaust. Does the exhaust heat up? Hose hot? Not much help. Encouragement? Maybe.

hodo

Member III
I think Jerry is right, check the fitting where the outlet hose is going into the exhaust riser. Also check the outlet from the heat exchanger, as I have seen salt build up there enogh to shut down flow. Quick check, pull hose off of mixer fitting and have someone crank it up and be ready to shut it down right away, . Oh yeah, put the end of the hose in a milk jug or like container. I neglected to tell a buddy that part and his wife STILL brings it up at embarassing times.Check the through hull valve to make sure it is clear and open. Good luck, Harold

Glyn Judson

All of a sudden, no water.

Greg, This is about the last thing you can look for or maybe it should be the first, but I had the IDENTICAL thing occur to me last summer when returning from a short motoring back to the slip. By the way, no harm came to my fresh water cooled Yanmar 3 engine but I didn't know that until later. A section of inner wall in the USCG approved raw water hose on the intake side of the water pump separated (think bubble or flap of rubber) and the pull or vacuum of the pump caused it to block off 100% of all salt water intake. Of course my blowing on it toward the intake through hull proved noting (I did that and a dozen other things). Not until I got the suggestion to check the hose by blowing the other way did I discover the elusive on again-off again obstruction. A Yanmar mechanic at Boatswain's Locker here in SoCal came up with that idea. He said that he'd seen it only once before but hey, I'd already checked everything else and had nothing to lose. I replaced all the 12-year-old intake hose from the seacock to the strainer and from there to the engine pump and that was precisely the problem. Give it a try yourself by using cheap vinyl hose for the test and you might discover that the water begins to flow again. Replace it with the good stuff if that proves to be the culprit. Then again, it could be something totally different. Whatever it turns out to be, good luck and keep us posted, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Meanolddad

Member III
Lets see, so far all I have done is find out that the ball valve on Regalus is frozen in place. I broke the handle off when I tried to close it to start the trouble shooting. My fault for not cycling it enough, seemed fine the last time I closed it. I am going to get a hold of my diver and see if he wants to help me attempt to change it in the slip. If I want to haul Regulas I need the motor to get to the boat yard which is about a 40 minute motor back up the channel, with no water getting to the exhaust that may be difficult. I changed all hoses about 2 years ago so they all still seem fine.
I think the lack of water in the exhaust problem is in the fitting for the mixing elbow. Plenty of raw water getting to the anti siphon vent which is just upstream of the mixing elbow. We shall see once I have changed out the seacock.
Thanks for the advice
Greg

rookie1

my e35 clogged up at catalina.

1973 model-design flaw. a pipe 90 directly on the thru hull fitting-then the valve next. fixed it in the water. put a tee with a plug for the first fitting-"a rod out connection". better be good with tools-have everything just right. a lot of water blows in.