Nice looking 35 Mk 2 on-line

Steuermann

Member II
"Price reduced 9/9/12 to $46,500
Over $70K has been spent on this boat including new shrouds and lifelines, complete awlgrip painting of the boat and standing rigging, new diesel engine (presently only 200 hours), Cruiseair AC and heat, autohelm, bamboo sole throughout, new headliner througout, Dutchman flaking system for mainsail, all new instruments, new interior fabrics and surfaces, interior/exterior stereo system, professionally maintained bright work, and on and on."

My English teacher taught me that a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with.

I don't wish to be the one to dump a bucket of cold salt water down anyone's foul weather gear, but there's the old adage about a silk purse and sow's ear. Not that the 35 Mk II was ever the latter. However one has to wonder why someone would drop anything near 70 kilobucks into any boat that will have a hard time selling for half that much. For that amount you can have a nice 35 Mk III or a 38, both newer, faster boats. That seller's going to take a bath on this one.

I currently have a call in on the Mk II in Bellingham.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Price reduced 9/9/12 to $46,500
Over $70K has been spent on this boat including new shrouds and lifelines, complete awlgrip painting of the boat and standing rigging, new diesel engine (presently only 200 hours), Cruiseair AC and heat, autohelm, bamboo sole throughout, new headliner througout, Dutchman flaking system for mainsail, all new instruments, new interior fabrics and surfaces, interior/exterior stereo system, professionally maintained bright work, and on and on."

My English teacher taught me that a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with.

There's the old adage about a silk purse and sow's ear. Not that the 35 Mk II was ever the latter. However one has to wonder why someone would drop anything near 70 kilobucks into any boat that will have a hard time selling for half that much. For that amount you can have a 35 Mk III or a 38, both nicer, faster boats. That seller's going to take a bath on this one.

I currently have a call in on the one in Bellingham.

Know nothing about the boat in the ad.... but back some years ago, before the recession, a couple at our YC had a real nice Cal 30-2. They cruised it for weeks every summer and gave it good care. About two years before they sold it they must have put about 25K into an LPU paint job and a new Universal diesel. Excellent work done by a local shipwright. The boat was beautiful. The paint included the deck, with all hardware removed and replaced.

They said they planned to amortize out the $ in more years of use, and then, while it was up in Puget Sound for the summer they re-thought the plan and put it up for sale.
They were into their 70's and had their eye on a trawler, it turned out.

Sister ships were routinely selling for 16K at that time, and they asked and got about 30K. I was not surprised at all -- they found a buyer who did not want to fix a boat, but wanted a turn key boat to sail and cruise immediately.

There are never very many educated buyers out there that know the difference, but there are some. And, as the old saw goes, it only takes one.

And, so it goes...
:rolleyes:

Steuermann

Member II
No argument here. They're a very nice looking boat and one in really good shape might sell for that, given the right buyer who isn't aware of the going price.

I remember when the 35-IIs came out. Was racing every weekend 'round the buoys on an Islander 30 Mk II then. Costa Mesa was within sight of the starting line and it seemed every weekend a new 35 MkII would show up with brand new shiny white sails and a crew that didn't yet know how to sail the boat well. I, too, have always liked the design, except for the funny way the outboard end of the main boom sagged about 8" below the level of the gooseneck. That never looked right to me, but was said to be free unmeasured sail area.

Maybe if the one in Bellinhgam doesn't have any soft spots around the chainplates and stanchions and if there aren't any surprises around the mast step and main bulkhead the wife and I will sail it home.

Last edited:

windjunkee

Member III
errr, in 2006 when we were gearing up our 1970 E-32 for a race to Puerto Vallarta, we spent about $25,000 in running rigging, new ST winches, new traveller, new windows, autopilot, new electronics, radios, sails, etc. etc. We knew it would improve resale value by a maximum of $8,000. We weren't doing it to improve the resale value. We were doing it to make the sailing faster, more competitive and more enjoyable. It was all that and we continue to use the upgrades every time we go sailing. We have a "less slow" slow boat now but ya gotta love her.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Steuermann

Member II
That's why they say sailboat racing is like standing fully clothed in a cold shower, tearing up $100 bills.

I've always managed to race on OTHER people's boats. :egrin: