Newest Generation Joins “CaryOn” Crew!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
WOW!!! - HOW time flies!!!
…Getting set to now already celebrate 50 years of ownership of “CaryOn”, our Ericson 32 purchased then brand new back in 1973!

She originally started out named the “Big Diehl” at the very start, using our last name ‘DIEHL’, as it was indeed a MAJOR purchase for me then at only age 29!

In the early 80’s, with my first child “Cary”,
Cary Fishing0001.jpeg
I shortly thereafter made him the LEGAL half owner when he could but barely write his own name. …We then, naturally, renamed our boat the “CaryOn” with the true intent he later would hopefully pass her on down to HIS offspring some future day.

…Fast forward now to 2022, …we’ve finally been BLESSED with our very first grandchild “LUCY” who already at 10 months of age has had her first sail and is an absolute natural not to mention LOVES boating!!!
IMG_4274.jpeg
Lucy with Nani…(my wife)

…Three Generations of the actual FIVE our Ericson 32 has brought our family together for fun and adventures on the water over these past 50 years! (Me, far left, my son Cary in blue and LUCY!!)
IMG_4235.jpeg

…HEY!!…Make NO mistake, our Lucy already likes to heartily grab the wheel and gets a serious look of attention to the helm!!
IMG_4064.jpeg

AS ALWAYS - The water, sailing and family times together spent on them is THE BEST of times FOREVER…Especially on an Ericson, as once advertised, “An Ericson IS Forever”!!!

(More to follow as our Lucy now grows so quickly!!!)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great photos and great sentiment. Do keep us up to date on your family sailing adventures!
:egrin:
I betcha that Good Old Boat magazine would like an article featuring your family with your Ericson.....

kapnkd

kapnkd
Great photos and great sentiment. Do keep us up to date on your family sailing adventures!
:egrin:
I betcha that Good Old Boat magazine would like an article featuring your family with your Ericson.....
Thanks Loren! … A GREAT compliment coming from you!

I’m …Just telling it like it has actually happened now over these SO many years.

There are SO many sails from Miami that included even my grandfather, plus dad and mom traveling to the Bahamas, and then - later - my second and stlll current wife, Judy, (photo)
FullSizeRender.jpeg
then later as we moved to Sarasota and eventually moved to Grosse Ile, below Detroit and Toledo, (NO ONE wants actually to be from Detroit!! ;-)) )

My, now grown up, son Cary and I up here have done a TOTAL refit of CaryOn and she’s as brand new as ever and upgraded, short of a potential hull and deck repaint. (TBD)

Indeed, we’ve actually documented all the refitting and Cary has even thought about perhaps YouTube postings - but that’s not my “tecky” bailiwick by any stretch!

I REALLY like your thoughts where pros might take interest and make it an inspiring story for others! …Meanwhile, I’m more than happy just posting it all on the EYO site.

Last edited: