Newbie rebedding question

Hilary

Ericson 1984 E26-2
I’m rebedding all the portlights in our 1984 E26 (since they ALL leak). I just pried out caulk over 1/4 inch deep all around the frame and my question is whether the channel all around the outside of the frame has to be completely filled. I really like the butyl tape but it seems it would take an enormous amount to fill. Pictures of the portlight and channel below. Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_7214.jpeg
    IMG_7214.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7212.jpeg
    IMG_7212.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7211.jpeg
    IMG_7211.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13

peaman

Sustaining Member
The channel does not need to be filled. If you apply the butyl tape to the flange of the frame, where the frame and the hull meet, that should provide a good seal. Note that butyl needs a few days to settle in and ooze out as needed, so it's important to avoid over-tightening screws. The aluminum frames can be warped if forced. Tighten the screws a bit at a time over a few days.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Just my opinion but I would stay away from butyl.

I used butyl tape (cheap Amazon stuff not the high quality sailrite stuff) on my port lights and don’t recommend it. The oozing and the fact that it doesn’t compress fully on tightening made it undesirable for me in this application. I’m going to redo the job again the with 3M 4200 over winter.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Just my opinion but I would stay away from butyl
There are different schools of thought on this and no wrong answer. Caulk is great for it’s gap filling abilities and lack of oozing and clean finish. Butyl is great for its ease of use and longevity. I have used butyl successfully on two boats. No leaks after 13 years on the first boat (E27) and 8 on the current boat. I prefer butyl because it’s clean to install and if I ever have to remove a portlight it’s simple and it cleans up with mineral spirits. The minor oozing doesn’t bother me.

If you decide to use butyl only use Bed It. Nothing else comes close.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've done it both ways and will stay with caulk next time. With tape around the exterior, cleanup is easy.

I like the way caulk fills the gaps below and around the flange. Bed-it in my book is best for deck hardware, which gets honked down hard by bolts. I don't think Maine Sail ever advocated it for applications like portlights, which are often held in place by flange rather than high pressure fasteners.

Either way works, but my rule is: if a fitting is held by bolts, butyl. If by screws, caulk. Ericson typical fixed ports are held by the mild adhesive of caulk, their interior covers are mostly cosmetic. Over-tighten the screws and the aluminum cover will be ruined.

E381 fixed port factory bedding.JPG