Newbie questions about an Ericson 34 for sale

bertboyer

Member I
Hello Everyone,
I am relatively new to sailing and just returned from a bareboat charter where the captain encouraged me to take a look at a local Ericson 34 https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-ericson-34-8598981/

I have been very interested in purchasing my first boat (30-35 ft range) for sailing in the Pacific NW around the San Juan Islands. After watching many Christian Williams videos and enjoying four of his books, finding a 1980s-1990s Ericson is high on my list.

I have requested an appointment to take a closer look at this boat and after reading another 'newbie' thread, I saw so many helpful comments that I thought it would be helpful to post a thread before taking a closer look at the boat since several of you may have suggestions of things I should be aware of or look into first hand.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments you may have!

Bert

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hello Everyone,
I am relatively new to sailing and just returned from a bareboat charter where the captain encouraged me to take a look at a local Ericson 34 https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-ericson-34-8598981/

I have been very interested in purchasing my first boat (30-35 ft range) for sailing in the Pacific NW around the San Juan Islands. After watching many Christian Williams videos and enjoying four of his books, finding a 1980s-1990s Ericson is high on my list.

I have requested an appointment to take a closer look at this boat and after reading another 'newbie' thread, I saw so many helpful comments that I thought it would be helpful to post a thread before taking a closer look at the boat since several of you may have suggestions of things I should be aware of or look into first hand.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments you may have!

Bert
You should join this month's virtual meeting. You will meet fellow Ericson owners and get valuable advise.
Mark "Souleman" Soule

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That boat is at a Portland brokerage, and is said (by a friend at its YC moorage) to have been well maintained. I recall that maybe 15 or 20 (?) years ago the owners paid big $ to have the cover trim over the hull/deck joint glassed over and painted. Just cosmetic, but a nice touch.
One goofy discrepancy in the broker listing is the statement that it was built by Pacific Seacraft. A 1988 Ericson was built by Ericson, for sure. PSC did buy the tooling for this model after EY closed sometime late in 1990.
I admit to liking this model, with its two ice boxes, and a friend of mine with a sister ship put 12 volt compressor units in each one so he enjoys a freezer and separate fridge.

Good luck on becoming an Ericson owner!

Last edited:

bertboyer

Member I
That boat is at a Portland brokerage, and is said (by a friend at its YC moorage) to have been well maintained. I recall that maybe 15 or 20 (?) years ago the owners paid big $ to have the cover trim over the hull/deck joint glassed over and painted. Just cosmetic, but a nice touch.
One goofy discrepancy in the broker listing is the statement that it was built by Pacific Seacraft. A 1988 Ericson was built by Ericson, for sure. PSC did buy the tooling for this model after EY closed sometime late in 1990.
I admit to liking this model, with its two ice boxes, and a friend of mine with a sister ship put 12 volt compressor units in each one so he enjoys a freezer and separate fridge.

Good luck on becoming an Ericson owner!
Thanks for the 12v compressor idea. I'll look into it if everything else checks out.

The pacific sea craft/ericson/Olson dynamic is pretty interesting to me - Pacific Seacraft was listed as being a previous owner of my E27. Think a PSC dealer/brokerage owned it at one point in the early 00s but it lead to some confusion, still not totally sure what the deal was.

two ice boxes?!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The pacific sea craft/ericson/Olson dynamic is pretty interesting to me
Just think of it as Ericson Yachts being in business from late 60's to 1990. During that time they bought the assets of at least one other boat builder, Pacific Boats. EY then continued production of the Pacific Boats Olson 25, Olson 911s, and put the new design, Olson 34, into production. EY was believed to have built 39 Olson 34's.

When EY closed in late 1990, PSC bought the tooling for several Ericson's, like the 32-200 and 38-200 and I believe also the 34-200. PSC then built those in their plant until they closed up. At that time the Olson 34 tooling was bought by a small builder in Washington, and they built either one or two O-34 boats, calling them a "Sonic 34." The tooling for the E-35-3 was reportedly sold to a guy in Reno, but nothing further has been heard about it.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
I sail a 1988 E34 in the San Juans. It's a pleasure every time...

The pictures look good (though I don't know about that giant mirror). I've never seen such a huge cabin table. I made my own - smaller. The electronics looks antique, and I wonder why here is no picture of the engine. Anyway, the usual advice is still the best: get a good surveyor.

Hope to see you up here...

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
That table is original from Ericson. Ours is like that, only our starboard half is even longer. It is the same length as the port side, which makes it difficult to get into the port settee when the starboard leaf is folded down. The starboard leaf is easily removed. Ours is stored in our basement.

The electronics are definitely antiques. LORAN transmitters were turned off a decade ago so the LORAN receiver is not functional. Budget to replace all the electronics, and, while you are at it, consider adding a wheel pilot.

We have an Isotherm refrigerator unit in the galley ice box and use the port ice box without ice as cool storage. This works well for us.

The interior looks excellent. The seat cushion material looks brand new. There are a couple window/hatch leaks, but those are easily repaired.

We love our E34. We especially like the aft cabin. In our boat, the V-berth has become the “attic”.

Pete the Cat

Member III
From what I see here, this appears to be in better than average shape for a boat of its age. And well maintained boats are a find and worth paying a bit of a premium for compared to the "average" price. As mentioned the electronics are ancient and, if you are a newbie, be careful about how you upgrade--it can become a huge expense very easily. The engine area looks well maintained but this boat does not appear to have done a lot of motoring or sailing. Cushions and sail condition are a huge expense and nice to see new cushions--you might like to see the sails hoisted and factor if they look like they appear to have life in them--I would not expect nice new sails, but -----well here comes a story;
When I shopped my Ericson, the main looked serviceable when I peeled back the mainsail cover. I looked at the genny from the outside unrolled without launching it entirely before I made my offer and it looked solid enough for a season or two. Unfortunately, when I actually sailed the boat in the first winds over 10 kts, the jib leech disintegrated---turns out the sail had been furled on the roller backwards and the sail had had no cover for years in the sun--fabric looked good, but was rotten. Surveyors rarely will include sail assessments in their reports and test sails may not be on the right day for winds to test everything. So look at the big stuff. Engines, Rigging, Sails, Cushions, Electronics.

This engine looks to be in good condition and well maintained, but I would still insist on hearing it start from cold (brokers may try to tell you this is not possible, but it should be done before you make and offer or bother with a "sail test"--the owner can authorize this done. You are the customer tell them the criteria for inspection--don't let them tell you. The engine should start from cold after 15 seconds of glow at max--and the engine should not have been run for 24 hours before that--almost any diesel will start if it is warm. If the diesel will start with minimal glow plug use, it is probably OK mechanically. This is the other potential big expense. This is a much more important test than how many hours the engine has been run or the broker or owner's claims of maintenance. If they will not consent to starting the engine from cold, I would assume they are hiding something.
Ask someone in the boat yard (not the broker) for a recommendation of a surveyor; they know who the good ones are. If they claim recent maintenance (like rigging or engine work) ask for the invoices--you may need them to support insurance amounts.
Good luck. We are here to help.

bertboyer

Member I
Hi Ray,
Thank you so much for these helpful tips and for sharing your experiences. I can't tell you (and others who have commented) how much I appreciate these helpful comments, conversations, and advice. It is terrific and the Ericson community on this site is fabulous.

I have identified at least one local marine surveyor that our bareboat charter captain recommended. He also offered to go out on a test sail with me when needed, which will be extremely helpful. I am not fixated on an Ericson 34, and am quite open to other Ericson's in the 30-35 ft range. So I would welcome any suggestions you or others may have in this regard, and if others in the PNW are thinking of selling their Ericson, please let me know.

Thanks again to you and others!

JohnW

I am another newbie with even less experience. I too found my way to Ericson via Christian William's videos.

I went through something similar that started a month ago and am currently at the very end of the process. I rely heavily on the collective knowledge of this forum, its blogs and downloadable resources. Without the Ericson Forum, there are too many unknowns for me to go through with the purchase, especially since this is the first and only boat that I saw in person.

I visited the boat three times. First to see if the boat is as pictured, talk to the broker, get a sense of the boat's history, and evaluate if it's worth going forward with a survey(haul out)/sea trial. The second time was the actual survey/sea trial. The third time was for me take a closer look and take some photos, which I should have done on the first visit, but I didn't know any better. I even forgot to bring a flashlight on that visit.

Rodney

I looked at that boat about a year ago. It seemed well kept but my feeling was that everything on it was original. The broker had no knowledge of any upgrades or updates over the years. I think it's been for sale for several years now. Considering how much updating it might need maybe a low offer would work

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
Because there are two people here who are considering buying their first boat, and looking (at least in one case) only at a single boat (and in another case) 'new to sailing', I am going to take a risk and mention a few additional things beyond the question of merely "Ericson or not' and 'how about THIS Ericson.'

My reason is simply that I bought my first boat, and Ericson, 3 years ago, and had quite a lot of sailing experience before that. And despite all that, I missed a lot of things about the boat, even after looking it over carefully myself and having a (quite good) inspection done, for which I was present, and even hiring an additional expert to help go over the inspection report and other details. Further, despite being an engineer and knowing how to do my spreadsheets in advance, I nonetheless found that boats are (surprise) expensive, and a good bit moreso than my initial figuring. And my boat was definitely in 'very good' condition to start with.

PS: Apparently it is pretty normal for someone to work on buying a boat three times before actually doing it; that was true for me. each time you cycle through the process you learn more. Don;t feel pressured -- remember: chartering is still cheaper!

To be clear, I am very happy with my Ericson, and regularly glad I bought it. No regrets. But before the folks on this thread buy their first boats, a few items I discovered recently, and sometimes the hard way:

Initial thoughts:

- Take-home: it is cheaper to bareboat charter and do lessons than to own... and in the process you will sail on more boats, and learn which you like (one reason I now sail an Ericson and not a Catalina :) and what features in a boat you really use/care about. Plus you can charter anywhere, but just try getting YOUR boat to the Caribbean or Greece.

- Surveyors miss stuff. You miss stuff. The more you look at boats, the less stuff you will miss and the easier it will get. Argues for not just looking at one boat.

- Don't underestimate the expenses of updating old electronics (easily $10k) or sails (easily $10k, really more) etc. Old boats come with some likely big up-front expenses unless those things have been updated quite recently.

- Many costs scale like the square of the length, so an E27 will be vastly cheaper in every way -- to buy, to refit, to keep in a slip, to repaint the bottom -- than an E34. Do you really want to start with a large boat?

- Buying a boat comes with sudden timelines: the minute your offer is accepted, you have a day or two to get the boat to your own moorage. Do you have a slip? Where? Is it available now? Will they rent to you without insurance (no)? Do you have insurance? Where can you get it? -- All must be dealt with quickly. Worth thinking that stuff through, pricing it out, well before making your bid. After all, if you are planning to buy something, sooner or later, no reason not to decide where you'll berth it, insure it, etc., ahead of time.

- Again, you will have to move the boat very quickly after closing. Are you ready to move an unfamiliar boat from an unfamiliar harbor to another unfamiliar harbor, by yourself (or with your also new-to-sailing friends)? Or will you hire a captain? I moved mine myself, and (of course) the engine died in the middle of a narrow shipping channel. Oh, do you know what to do (see also: more bareboat chartering before buying -- I was OK only thanks to excellent training :) Do you have towing assistance?

** Before you read below and are potentially startled by the numbers,

- Much boat work will be vastly cheaper if you do it yourself. But that takes a lot of time, and tools you probably don't have. Every time I see someone here doing everything to their boat I wish I could do to mine, and doing it (e.g. preparing for Hawaii) in just a season.... they are retired or not working for the time being. If you work a full-time job, especially one that is > 40 hrs/wk, like many careers, then you have to have other people do a lot of this and the costs spirals. Which category do you fit in? Don't forget that it is not just replacing the hatch plastic, for instance -- you have to research what to do, get the new piece templated and cut, possibly when it is not raining, get the tools you don't have, then do the job...

- Regardless, the electronics and sails have to be bought, and are expensive, though you can save a good bit by installing yourself.

Costs:

Recurring Costs:
The main cost is NOT buying the boat. It is owning the boat. Be ready:
$1-2k/yr Insurance (PS: Boat US will NOT insure you if you haven't already owned.... do you know you can even GET insurance? Know before signing that contract...)
$0.5 - $1k/yr Property tax and registration
$6k/yr Slip fees ($500/mo down here; YMMV)
$1.5 - $3k/yr Bottom cleaning ($200+ monthly in summer, less in winter (may be less often in the PNW)
$1k/yr Bottom paint. Need new paint every 3-4 years, and hauling and painting are $3-4k
$2k/yr Random minor items. New sheet, or fixture, or whatever just broke. It adds up.
----------
$12k/yr plus.
Be ready. Also: this alone is... about 24 bareboat day-charters a year... Consider doing more chartering before buying. What will owning do for you that chartering won't? You can charter anywhere (Greece!), but you can only have all your own stuff and modifications on your own boat, etc.

Set-up costs:
$15k New sails (main, 130 and 90% jibs) for an E34. NOTE: smaller boats have much cheaper sails. See below.
$5-15k New electronics (radio with DSC/MMSI: $0.5-$1k, AIS: $1k, Chartplotter: $2-4k, wind/depth/etc: $few k. Radar: $etc. Having it installed roughly doubles the parts prices.)
$0.5-1.5k Safety: flares/distress signals, GPIRB
$1k Decent lifevests for you and some crew, with safeety lights etc
-----------
Can easily be $10-30k. (Usually doesn't need to be done all at once.)

Initial maintenance:
Your boat will need some initial maintenance. Examples from mine: minor engine work/lift pump issue, leaking anchor locker, hatches, needed new sheets, docklines, fenders, lifelines, bottom paint, head hoses, a couple of throughhull fittings; haulout required.
** DO NOT take it to the boatyard right away (unless you absolutely must) -- rather, sail it for a season and see what you think really needs fixing. Stil, expect it to add up to :
---------------
$5-10k easily. (Actually, easily well more than that).

That's all a LOT... and much of the expenditure is irrecoverable -- your boat will not appreciate to cover the costs of those upgrades (yes: waiting to find an already-upgraded boat is not a bad idea financially and time-wise...)

Because you will be investing a lot, consider:

- Is this really the boat you want? More bareboating might help settle that question. For instance, my E34 is very nice below, but I am always on deck singlehanding on SF Bay. What matters to me more are the sailing qualities. In the PNW, I cared a lot more about it being cozy below... my friend's Catalina, with a diesel heater and the ample room Catalina's have due to their width was really nice. What are you really going to be doing with the boat (and what time of year)?

- Consider a small (24'-27') boat with an outboard engine first. Everything will be cheaper (loads and sail areas and slip areas... and thus prices -- all go like the square of the length); outboard engines are just much easier to deal with. Make your mistakes learning to fix that. Then later move to a bigger boat... if in fact you need one. Of course, if your plan is to spend a lot of time below while the rain drums on the cabintop then maybe this isn't the right plan for you.

- If you have not already read through the:
* Practical Sailor "Practical Boat Buying" Guides (2 vols) then that is really worth the time.
You might also consider
* "Selecting and Purchasing an Ocean Cruising Sailboat", https://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Book.pdf

I would also encourage you to look at Catalinas and other boats. Catalina has sold approximately infinity boats, so there are spares, and plans, and information much more easily available than for most other boats (which had smaller production runs and/or for which the builders are no longer in business).

So why did I buy an Ericson 34? I prefer the lines. I knew they could go offshore, and I cannot charter a boat to Hawaii. I really prefer the sailing qualities (I never considered a Catalina or Beneteau; I knew from chartering that I don't like the way they sail as much. On the other hand, for cruising (mainly motoring) in Alaska all that room below on a Catalina was very nice. But without my even really trying, my E34 regularly outpaces other boats of similar size in my area (albeit boats that are unaware we are racing :) and I enjoy that. I am really very happy with my boat -- happy enough that the regular annoyances of ownership (that leaking whatever it is this time...) are minor by comparison, which in the end seems the most important part.

Lastly, I discovered this board only when I was well along in the purchase cycle, but in retrospect it would have moved the needle for me: this is one of the most helpful, most civilized, and most friendly boards I have ever experienced and has really made owning the Eriscon a lot more pleasant. If you do consider any other make (which I actually encourage you to do, while keeping my fingers crossed that by saying so I am not poisoning the well with my fellow Ericson owners here) then I would look at what the online support is like for those.

Good luck as you move forward.

windblown

Member III
Because there are two people here who are considering buying their first boat, and looking (at least in one case) only at a single boat (and in another case) 'new to sailing', I am going to take a risk and mention a few additional things beyond the question of merely "Ericson or not' and 'how about THIS Ericson.'

My reason is simply that I bought my first boat, and Ericson, 3 years ago, and had quite a lot of sailing experience before that. And despite all that, I missed a lot of things about the boat, even after looking it over carefully myself and having a (quite good) inspection done, for which I was present, and even hiring an additional expert to help go over the inspection report and other details. Further, despite being an engineer and knowing how to do my spreadsheets in advance, I nonetheless found that boats are (surprise) expensive, and a good bit moreso than my initial figuring. And my boat was definitely in 'very good' condition to start with.

PS: Apparently it is pretty normal for someone to work on buying a boat three times before actually doing it; that was true for me. each time you cycle through the process you learn more. Don;t feel pressured -- remember: chartering is still cheaper!

To be clear, I am very happy with my Ericson, and regularly glad I bought it. No regrets. But before the folks on this thread buy their first boats, a few items I discovered recently, and sometimes the hard way:

Initial thoughts:

- Take-home: it is cheaper to bareboat charter and do lessons than to own... and in the process you will sail on more boats, and learn which you like (one reason I now sail an Ericson and not a Catalina :) and what features in a boat you really use/care about. Plus you can charter anywhere, but just try getting YOUR boat to the Caribbean or Greece.

- Surveyors miss stuff. You miss stuff. The more you look at boats, the less stuff you will miss and the easier it will get. Argues for not just looking at one boat.

- Don't underestimate the expenses of updating old electronics (easily $10k) or sails (easily $10k, really more) etc. Old boats come with some likely big up-front expenses unless those things have been updated quite recently.

- Many costs scale like the square of the length, so an E27 will be vastly cheaper in every way -- to buy, to refit, to keep in a slip, to repaint the bottom -- than an E34. Do you really want to start with a large boat?

- Buying a boat comes with sudden timelines: the minute your offer is accepted, you have a day or two to get the boat to your own moorage. Do you have a slip? Where? Is it available now? Will they rent to you without insurance (no)? Do you have insurance? Where can you get it? -- All must be dealt with quickly. Worth thinking that stuff through, pricing it out, well before making your bid. After all, if you are planning to buy something, sooner or later, no reason not to decide where you'll berth it, insure it, etc., ahead of time.

- Again, you will have to move the boat very quickly after closing. Are you ready to move an unfamiliar boat from an unfamiliar harbor to another unfamiliar harbor, by yourself (or with your also new-to-sailing friends)? Or will you hire a captain? I moved mine myself, and (of course) the engine died in the middle of a narrow shipping channel. Oh, do you know what to do (see also: more bareboat chartering before buying -- I was OK only thanks to excellent training :) Do you have towing assistance?

** Before you read below and are potentially startled by the numbers,

- Much boat work will be vastly cheaper if you do it yourself. But that takes a lot of time, and tools you probably don't have. Every time I see someone here doing everything to their boat I wish I could do to mine, and doing it (e.g. preparing for Hawaii) in just a season.... they are retired or not working for the time being. If you work a full-time job, especially one that is > 40 hrs/wk, like many careers, then you have to have other people do a lot of this and the costs spirals. Which category do you fit in? Don't forget that it is not just replacing the hatch plastic, for instance -- you have to research what to do, get the new piece templated and cut, possibly when it is not raining, get the tools you don't have, then do the job...

- Regardless, the electronics and sails have to be bought, and are expensive, though you can save a good bit by installing yourself.

Costs:

Recurring Costs:
The main cost is NOT buying the boat. It is owning the boat. Be ready:
$1-2k/yr Insurance (PS: Boat US will NOT insure you if you haven't already owned.... do you know you can even GET insurance? Know before signing that contract...)
$0.5 - $1k/yr Property tax and registration
$6k/yr Slip fees ($500/mo down here; YMMV)
$1.5 - $3k/yr Bottom cleaning ($200+ monthly in summer, less in winter (may be less often in the PNW)
$1k/yr Bottom paint. Need new paint every 3-4 years, and hauling and painting are $3-4k
$2k/yr Random minor items. New sheet, or fixture, or whatever just broke. It adds up.
----------
$12k/yr plus.
Be ready. Also: this alone is... about 24 bareboat day-charters a year... Consider doing more chartering before buying. What will owning do for you that chartering won't? You can charter anywhere (Greece!), but you can only have all your own stuff and modifications on your own boat, etc.

Set-up costs:
$15k New sails (main, 130 and 90% jibs) for an E34. NOTE: smaller boats have much cheaper sails. See below.
$5-15k New electronics (radio with DSC/MMSI: $0.5-$1k, AIS: $1k, Chartplotter: $2-4k, wind/depth/etc: $few k. Radar: $etc. Having it installed roughly doubles the parts prices.)
$0.5-1.5k Safety: flares/distress signals, GPIRB
$1k Decent lifevests for you and some crew, with safeety lights etc
-----------
Can easily be $10-30k. (Usually doesn't need to be done all at once.)

Initial maintenance:
Your boat will need some initial maintenance. Examples from mine: minor engine work/lift pump issue, leaking anchor locker, hatches, needed new sheets, docklines, fenders, lifelines, bottom paint, head hoses, a couple of throughhull fittings; haulout required.
** DO NOT take it to the boatyard right away (unless you absolutely must) -- rather, sail it for a season and see what you think really needs fixing. Stil, expect it to add up to :
---------------
$5-10k easily. (Actually, easily well more than that).

That's all a LOT... and much of the expenditure is irrecoverable -- your boat will not appreciate to cover the costs of those upgrades (yes: waiting to find an already-upgraded boat is not a bad idea financially and time-wise...)

- Is this really the boat you want? More bareboating might help settle that question. For instance, my E34 is very nice below, but I am always on deck singlehanding on SF Bay. What matters to me more are the sailing qualities. In the PNW, I cared a lot more about it being cozy below... my friend's Catalina, with a diesel heater and the ample room Catalina's have due to their width was really nice. What are you really going to be doing with the boat (and what time of year)?

- Consider a small (24'-27') boat with an outboard engine first. Everything will be cheaper (loads and sail areas and slip areas... and thus prices -- all go like the square of the length); outboard engines are just much easier to deal with. Make your mistakes learning to fix that. Then later move to a bigger boat... if in fact you need one. Of course, if your plan is to spend a lot of time below while the rain drums on the cabintop then maybe this isn't the right plan for you.

- If you have not already read through the:
* Practical Sailor "Practical Boat Buying" Guides (2 vols) then that is really worth the time.
You might also consider
* "Selecting and Purchasing an Ocean Cruising Sailboat", https://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Book.pdf

I would also encourage you to look at Catalinas and other boats. Catalina has sold approximately infinity boats, so there are spares, and plans, and information much more easily available than for most other boats (which had smaller production runs and/or for which the builders are no longer in business).

So why did I buy an Ericson 34? I prefer the lines. I knew they could go offshore, and I cannot charter a boat to Hawaii. I really prefer the sailing qualities (I never considered a Catalina or Beneteau; I knew from chartering that I don't like the way they sail as much. On the other hand, for cruising (mainly motoring) in Alaska all that room below on a Catalina was very nice. But without my even really trying, my E34 regularly outpaces other boats of similar size in my area (albeit boats that are unaware we are racing :) and I enjoy that. I am really very happy with my boat -- happy enough that the regular annoyances of ownership (that leaking whatever it is this time...) are minor by comparison, which in the end seems the most important part.
N.A.,
You’ve provided such a thorough warning/analysis here, and I couldn’t argue with any of it (except being grateful that many overall costs are significantly lower in our fresh water Great Lakes). So why would any of us choose to own our own sailboats, given the financial realities, scraped knuckles, and frequent loss of sleep anxiously pondering whether that new water in the bilge is just from the recent rain or from some other, hidden menace that might be sinking the boat while we’re just lying in bed at home?! I think it’s like giving birth or playing another football game (either kind): yesterday’s pain and rational assessment is quickly obscured by the sheer joy it brings us today.
Okay, and maybe the sleep deprivation affects some cognitive ability.

bertboyer

Member I
Thanks Deborah,
I think you sum it up nicely. I absolutely love sailing and seek a reasonably nice boat for coastal cruising in the PNW. I also realize maintenance on an older boat will be expensive and time consuming. I believe I am up for the challenge of both, because as you say, all of these hurdles are "quickly obscured by the sheer joy it brings us."

This E34 may very well not be the best choice as I am learning more about this particular boat from past threads on EY.o that I only recently became aware of. Nevertheless, the Ericson community on this forum is phenomenal, and I honestly can't see searching for any other boat besides an Ericson as I cant imagine the support being any better than what I have experienced here. You all are great and I have really learned from everyone's comments and encouragement on this thread and through several conversations stemming from this thread. Thank you!

If others are thinking of selling their Ericson in the 30-35' range in the Pacific NW, please let me know. Additional comments and advice are most welcome.

All the best,
Bert

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author

I can't argue with anything you've said. Good (and useful!) analysis.

Having said that, perhaps I'll be forgiven a random aside. In my work-world I used to do financial analysis of technology investments as part of helping companies work through their IT strategy. I used an approach called "TCO", which attempts to comparatively quantify the "total cost of ownership" of a thing. Take, for example, the purchase of a car: buying a new car costs more (purchase, insurance, etc) than a used car, but might have offsetting benefits (better gas mileage, more reliable, etc). In doing the analysis, you can figure out the "cost per year" for each option, offset that with anticipated benefits and determine (in theory) which option "returns" better financial outcomes.

It's an approach that works for investments. IMO, it is not an approach that works for boats. None of us are going to get a financial return on our boats, but that's not what a boat is about. Just like the "cost" of a vacation, or a hobby, or a child, a boat is about the joy it brings you, and the things you experience, and the places you see, and the memories you create. Those are... priceless.

When I bought my boat, I wanted to be able to write the check and absorb operating costs into a sustainable budget, so did my own calculations of the "true cost". The sum of purchase price, plus the cost of getting it to my home marina (if it was somewhere else), plus the cost of upgrades required to get it up to snuff. Plus ongoing costs (insurance, slip-fees, etc). Add all that up, and the "TCO" has been something like 12k a year - that's about 5-6k/year in run-costs (moorage, insurance, maintenance) plus the purchase-price amortized over the 8 years I've been her caretaker.

....but never once has that number been front-of-mind when I think about the last trip, or the next one.

$.02
Bruce

DSCF9918c.JPG

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My pictures are not near as awesome as Bruce's, but do represent experiences that "money cannot buy" (well, within limits...) :egrin:

edit: I agree wholeheartedly also that finding a Fresh Water boat is a plus. We bought ours in SF, in 1994, and brought it to Ptld where it does exhibit fewer maintenance issues than it might have otherwise.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
N.A.'s summary is very useful, although it implies immediate bankruptcy. :) Many of the expenses are spread out over time, during which a new owner can decide with leisure whether he needs a $2000 chart plotter (Mine was $700), radar, and so on. Sails vary greatly in price and cheap ones work. No doubt there are cases in which the for-sale boat must be moved instantly, but that's not usually the case with a broker or even a private owner. Something can be worked out.

There's something else that I find important in buying a boat. Great mental anguish is expended on the "fair" price, which is always a negotiation, and during which sailboat buyers are consumed with the fear of being cheated, or of paying too much, or of making some gross mistake that will haunt them forever.

Nah. If you want the boat, pay the seller what he asks minus the percentage he expects. A 50K boat, you offer 45K, he counters at $47,500. Buy it.

Making a big deal of a few thousand makes no sense to me. It's peanuts down the ownership road, and great concern may mean you can't really afford the unpredicted outlays ahead.