new to sailing

tojones

I'm a new sailor and a sailboat owner as of this morning.. I've got a 1978 23' ericson and a couple of dumb questions to ask.. how can I tell if it's a centerboard or fixed keel while it's in the water, I have an old inspection form that came with the boat that indicates it's a c/b, but that inspection was done in the water so maybe they didn't know. While on the boat, I couldn't find a board or cables or anything that looks like a trunk for a c/b.. If there are any photos of the difference, that would help. Would the hull number tell me? Thanks for any info and wish me luck..

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Details

You can't tell from the hull number, but you can from looking at the mast. If it is a centerboard boat, the pendant (line) for lifting the board will exit the mast a couple of inches up on the port side and run back to the port winch on the cabintop. Also, the compression post under the mast will actually be hollow, built up of 1" mahogany boards in a box-section, with the centerboard cable enclosed within. We have an active E-23 owners association and are always happy to gain a new member. Let me take a wild guess at your boat's hull number: ERY23464M78H - am I close? The E-23 is a real sweet sailing boat, well built and performing quite well for her size. Contact me at oleboe at aol dot com and we'll get you registered and share some info.

tojones

Hi all, I should get a chance to see my boat tomorrow, what should I look for, I'm hoping I haven't bought a bunch of headaches, I expect to work on some things, and I can't imagine a centerboard to be a huge problem.. I'll hope for the best...overall, the boat looks good and I think the price was right... outboard is good, sails are o.k. rigging looks good, slip price is great and the marina seems to be a good place to be... what can the downside be? I tried to send some photos to bob... don't know if they went, I'm not computer savvy... thanks for any info...

tojones

another question..

this is about the seacocks for the sink, should they be closed and what other openings are on the boat that I should look out for?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Every through hull fitting needs to be closable at the point of entry, on old boats sometimes there are gate valves that corrode open or shut. I am not familiar with the E23 to know how many were factory installed, but since some may have been fitted since, one of the most important things you can do with your new boat is look everywhere around the boat, find them all, and check their condition. If they are frozen, replace them, for which I would haul the boat. It can be done in the water if the fittings come apart cleanly, but if there is major corrosion you want to be on dry land.
You have got a good sailor's boat, good luck with getting her ready.
Gareth