New, to me, 1984 Ericson 30+

juni

Member I
Top of the morning! I'm junior, just put deposit down for a 1984 Ericsson 30+ yesterday. I was impressed with new sails, new standing rigging, steerage. I lived aboard and sailed a Catalina 30 in nyc until a few months ago, lost her to storm. Because I figured out how to live on the water in this city of islands I prefer a sailboat to have fun, all the time. Was so excited I failed to look inside, check out lockers until after inspecting everything on deck and engine. It is not as beamy as the C30 and lacks space for storage. I'd forgotten I will live aboard and didn't consider the stowage to be important until after I'd agreed to buy. Nevertheless, am happy i found what appears to be a solid sailboat to go coastal for the rest of my life. Does anyone know of others that live or have lived aboard the E30+? Don't know much about fractional rigs, appears they require more attention to rigging than masthead sloop. I have to get autopilot, any suggestions for a blue collar sailor? Need frame for dodger and bikini too, does anyone know the measurement I need for those? Never installed, bought one before, boats came with them on. Thank you, have a fantastic weekend

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Congrats and welcome to the site ! I'm biased but you have a great sailing boat. I don't find the frac rig any more difficult to tune and love the smaller headsail compared to a masthead rig. It has a huge main for a 30 footer and the boom is a little intrusive compared to other boats. I have a dodger although rarely used it. I have an early 84 and the traveler location on the bridge deck causes sheeting issues with the dodger on. Unless the boom height has been altered I don't think a bimini will work either. Storage is somewhat limited compared to others but not greatly. As far as autopilot, a wheel pilot is the best budget option and will work well on that boat. I don't live aboard so can't offer any insight on that.

juni

Member I
Congrats and welcome to the site ! I'm biased but you have a great sailing boat. I don't find the frac rig any more difficult to tune and love the smaller headsail compared to a masthead rig. It has a huge main for a 30 footer and the boom is a little intrusive compared to other boats. I have a dodger although rarely used it. I have an early 84 and the traveler location on the bridge deck causes sheeting issues with the dodger on. Unless the boom height has been altered I don't think a bimini will work either. Storage is somewhat limited compared to others but not greatly. As far as autopilot, a wheel pilot is the best budget option and will work well on that boat. I don't live aboard so can't offer any insight on that.
Thank you, i'm curious about my skill on this rig. will know soon, have a fantastic season

jengels

Member II
Juni, we have a 1983 30+. One of the first things I did was to raise the boom to clear the bimini. I guess the previous owners only used the bimini at anchor or the dock. On our boat there were already screw holes in the mast at the higher level. The only downside was the mainsail couldn't be fully tightened because of the shorter distance. That was remedied by having the sail shorted and altered to a footless style. We keep our boat in Mt. Sinai on the Long Island Sound, feel free to contact me with any other questions, I'd be happy to respond.

juni

Member I
Juni, we have a 1983 30+. One of the first things I did was to raise the boom to clear the bimini. I guess the previous owners only used the bimini at anchor or the dock. On our boat there were already screw holes in the mast at the higher level. The only downside was the mainsail couldn't be fully tightened because of the shorter distance. That was remedied by having the sail shorted and altered to a footless style. We keep our boat in Mt. Sinai on the Long Island Sound, feel free to contact me with any other questions, I'd be happy to respond.
Hello Jengels, thank you for the tip, i'd considered raising the boom, realized I can't compromise performance for comfort. Love living aboard but want to sail more to develop skills I lacked on my sail back to nyc from NE. Experienced a gale that made her heel at anchor with sails down over 25° near the north shore of Bayville. Was about 100yds from shore, 30ft depth. Lucky anchor held, i imagine someone saw the action from their home. After the tempest, i inspected the rig, poor intellect evident upon finding the genny had unfurled sheets wrapped around it halfway up, lucky the sail is new, uv cover needs stitchery. In any event, I look forward to meeting other Ericson 30+ sailors. Happy i am familiar with what compromises need be for me to live, let live, keep it moving hence i will live aboard sans bimini. Wanted to visit Mt. Sinai on my return to nyc, i remember a fantastic experience at Old man's boatyard back in 2020. The family was welcoming, accommodating, quite patient and honest. Thank you for your patience. No doubt, until ready to do sail to PR, will be on the Sound. Have a fantastic season, fair winds and following seas

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Juni,
I also own an 1983 E-30+. As mentioned, storage is limited.

I made three changes related to storage:
1. Removed the non-functional stove and built in a cabinet with a window for food storage,
2. Built shelves in the forward closet (across from the head)
3. Built shelves in the forward berth for clothes

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
About storage....
I have a hanging canvas storage 'thingy' in our aft cabin hanging locker. This still leaves room to have some clothing on hangers.
I found an example on-line, and it attaches to the pole slightly different than does ours but is the same otherwise. Lots of stores seem to sell them.
Until and IF you decide on carpenter-ing up some more storage, this might be an interim solution.
Actually we used one for a while in our other hanging locker, but the Admiral said she wanted all the hanger space back again, so away it went.....
:)

jengels

Member II
Juni, you can still have a bimini, it just has to be closed under sail. That's how our boat was set up when we got it. I believe you where at Ralph's Fishing Station in Mt. Sinai. Yes, that family is great. Old Man's Boatyard, the outfit that handles our boat has more of a "Service with a grunt" attitude. I hope we meet up on the Sound one day.

Zaidy

Hello everyone. I'm Zaidy. I have lurked here for a bit. I know that "hijacking" a post or thread is ill-mannered, so my apologies, but I am not sure how to do this otherwise. I notice several posters are Long Island Sound sailors, and I would love the opportunity to sail and learn. I live near Huntington (Dix Hills) but don't have a sailboat and my wife has no interest. So, if anyone would like company, or an inexperienced deckhand/crew let me know. (I have sailed several times and love Christian Williams' videos.) Also, if there is a better way for me to have done this, kindly let me know. Again, sorry for the interruption.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hello everyone. I'm Zaidy. I have lurked here for a bit. I know that "hijacking" a post or thread is ill-mannered, so my apologies, but I am not sure how to do this otherwise. I notice several posters are Long Island Sound sailors, and I would love the opportunity to sail and learn. I live near Huntington (Dix Hills) but don't have a sailboat and my wife has no interest. So, if anyone would like company, or an inexperienced deckhand/crew let me know. (I have sailed several times and love Christian Williams' videos.) Also, if there is a better way for me to have done this, kindly let me know. Again, sorry for the interruption.
Welcome to the site, and it will help others help you when you complete your sig line with your city and state and/or sailing venue. I or another moderator can move your post to a regional forum which sounds like what you might want. Please let us know if you want that.
Maybe some owners here familiar with Long Island Sound can weigh in...

Zaidy

Welcome to the site, and it will help others help you when you complete your sig line with your city and state and/or sailing venue. I or another moderator can move your post to a regional forum which sounds like what you might want. Please let us know if you want that.
Maybe some owners here familiar with Long Island Sound can weigh in...
Thanks, Loren. I posted to the thread that I did because several of the posters indicated that they were Long Island Sound sailors. Would it be possible to move my post to a regional forum AND keep it with this thread? Thanks for your help. p.s. I'll try to complete my sig line.

juni

Member I
Juni, you can still have a bimini, it just has to be closed under sail. That's how our boat was set up when we got it. I believe you where at Ralph's Fishing Station in Mt. Sinai. Yes, that family is great. Old Man's Boatyard, the outfit that handles our boat has more of a "Service with a grunt" attitude. I hope we meet up on the Sound one day.
Jengels, I meant Old Man's Boatyard, they are old school. They had my starter rebuilt in a few days and were hospitable. I remember Skip, his Father and his son. They were à class act, didn't feel out of place whereas at Ralph's, felt I wasn't in NY, didn't see any hispanics while I was there, people are predictable, their attitude was what I expected. Happy i found Old Man's Boatyard, will sail there after i get the diesel operational again, stuck on forward, trust them to inspect my work. IMHO they're honesty and aid is memorable albeit, this was spring 2020, no doubt people change. I think it'd be a daysail from city island, have a fantastic day

juni

Member I
Hello Jengels, I feel stupid, bought the boat with what appeared to be the manual for ericson 39+, it's how it was labeled. It's not, having bilge pump issues, do you know what type of pump it has? Can it be replaced with a pump that'd fit in the bilge? Do you know where i can find the manual for the erucson 30+? I'm sorry, no doubt today is perfect sailing weather, thank you for your patience, have a fantastic day