New sails - no 'local' sailmakers.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Our E31 is ready for new sails. Okay, she's probably past ready, but the checkbook says she can wait just a bit longer.

So, while we're waiting for those two to agree, here's a question for those of you who, like us, do not have the benefit of a local sailmaker: what did you end up doing?

We'd love to be able to use a local loft but inland lake sailors don't always have that option. The closest sail loft that I have found is a five hour drive (if anyone knows of one closer to the Pickwick Lake area of the Tennessee River, please let me know).
At that distance, the likelihood of someone that knows what they are doing, coming to take measurements, etc., is rather low. So I think we're kinda on our own.

We used Precision Sails for the new main on our Beneteau 235, and were happy with it. We did all the measurements ourselves and as far as we could tell, it fit and performed properly. We would be willing to use them again

Any other suggestions?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I had a good experience with Precision when we ordered a new mainsail for our 25+. If I had a hard time finding a local loft that would respond to phone calls and emails in the Puget Sound area, I can't imagine trying to find one in your neck of the woods.

Cutbait61

Member II
Until the pontoon boats and house boats convert to sail power we are SOL . I / E 29 am located up the river from you on Watts Bar Lake... the ONLY sailboat in the marina...as you stated ...we are truly ON OUR OWN.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of good threads, including:

dt222

Member III
When I needed new sails for my E31 in 2018 I used Mack Sails out of Stuart Florida. I had met them at both the Newport and Annapolis boat shows, and upon the recommendation of a friend. I was pleased with their price, quality and service.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Thanks Don, I'll check them out.

Curious, did you have a logo put on your main and if so did you use the standard Ericson logo or the stylized Liberty Bell logo that I see in the original 31 Independence brochure?

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Nice. That’s what I’m going to use as well. Did you have a digital version you sent them?
I’ve got the copy of the brochure I got from the Resources page. I’m hoping a shop can use that if I can’t find a higher resolution version.

JSM

Member III
When I needed new sails for my E31 in 2018 I used Mack Sails out of Stuart Florida. I had met them at both the Newport and Annapolis boat shows, and upon the recommendation of a friend. I was pleased with their price, quality and service.
I also used Mack after meeting them at the Chicago Boat Show for my previous boat and was pleased with the quality and service. When we purchased our Ericson seven years ago I didn't hesitate to use them again for a new main, jib and stack pack.
When the sails arrived I discovered that the jib was too long and that the foot hung down off of the side of the boat. The sail was ordered as a 135 but the clew came all the way back to the stern and the sun cover was on the wrong side of the sail.
I called Colin Mack and told him that he had perhaps shipped me the wrong sail. He was very apologetic, sent me a return label and promised to build me a new sail ASAP.
Two weeks later the sail arrived and lo and behold it was the same sail only cut down with the sun cover still on the wrong side.
When I called I was told that that was all they could do for me. After some bitching he credited back my card $500.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for that report, which is invaluable for shoppers. Please clarify the $500--how much did you pay in total for this (outrageous) experience?

JSM

Member III
Please clarify the $500--how much did you pay in total for this (outrageous) experience?
No longer have the receipt but the price at the time was reasonable compared to quotes I had gotten from local lofts here in Chicago.
From what I can remember all said and done it was around $3500.
Looking back I probably should have disputed it with the credit card company but at the same time our new to us boat was on the hard due to a leaking stern tube and I had my hands full with that.

dt222

Member III
Nice. That’s what I’m going to use as well. Did you have a digital version you sent them?
I’ve got the copy of the brochure I got from the Resources page. I’m hoping a shop can use that if I can’t find a higher resolution version.
I think I pulled if off of a brochure. I'll try and attach it here.

Attachments

• Medium 31 logo.jpg
    Medium 31 logo.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1

Stuphoto

Member III
I had a good experience with Precision when we ordered a new mainsail for our 25+. If I had a hard time finding a local loft that would respond to phone calls and emails in the Puget Sound area, I can't imagine trying to find one in your neck of the woods.
Ron over at Precision, in Sydney BC is great dealing with.
I haven't placed my order yet but he gave me several pointers how to measure them up.
Besides Precision has a sale going on at the moment.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
We ended up going with Precision, partly because we’ve dealt with them before, mostly for the price. They were very helpful with measurement advice and answering questions. Our boat has Harken’s Battcar system and turns out some of the measurements are slightly different than for normal slides. So they helped us avoid an issue there.
Order was placed end of September. Last week (mid October) received a notification that sail is finished and ready to ship. Should be here in the next couple of weeks. Will post thoughts after it’s installed and we’ve had a couple of sails.

Stuphoto

Member III
WOW, that is what I call Fast Service,
I am looking forward to your post on them

They made sails for a friend of mine, and he thought the quality was excellent.
Since he used to design and build high budget yachts I trust his opinion more than most peoples.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have been getting quotes for a new 30+ main sail. Loose-foot, 4 full battens, 2 reef points. Still waiting for UK quote.

Precision- DIY Measurements with/phone consult (Black Friday Sale as well) all with Helmsman package of reinforcements and consult
$2,606 7oz Cross-Cut (Contender Fibercon Pro Dimension, Polyant C-Breeze, Bainbridge HSX Balanced, Challenge Marblehead/Fibre 104)
$2,668 7oz Tri-Radial (Bainbridge HSX Strong Warp, Contender Fibercon Pro Radial, Challenge Newport Pro Radial)

North- Professional Measurement in person consult
$3,848 7.8oz Cross-Cut NPC Nordac 7.8 oz (7.8 oz recommended for longer sail life)

Quantum- Uncertain from quote if DIY measurements or Professional in person consult
$3,546 7.4oz Cross-Cut Contender Supercruise
$4,210 7.1oz Tri-Radial Challenge Newport Pro

The Precision quote is attractive with overall budget a consideration (boat needs new autopilot and head in the short term, a new headsail next year and a bunch of other stuff). The usual caveats of not having a professional look over the boat, possibly inferior hardware (??), etc. But, looks like same or similar sailcloth, and anything will be better than the blown out North rag currently on the boat since 1993 I think? Anyone want to talk me out of Precision? I have heard stories good and bad in numerous web searches.

Input appreciated. Thanks!

Doug

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you're not racing I believe it is hard to make a mistake simply by choosing by cost. No doubt more expensive fabrics stretch less and last longer, but by what, 10 percent? When not using a local rep, I'd just say be absolutely clear about the policy for returns if you're not satisfied and that your definition of satisfaction matches theirs.

For what it's worth, I like cross-cut for cruising boats. Always cheaper. To my eye looks traditional. Works fine with "heavy" (typical cruising) sailcloth weights.

Stuphoto

Member III
UK sails is in the same British Columbia city as Precision.
They are both run by wonderful, knowledge people.
If I was well off, and had an expensive boat I would choose UK sails any time.
However for the average person, and average boat the extra expense is hard to justify.
For me it's honestly an additional 2 weeks wages for my Ericson 25.
So I am sticking with Precision when I make my order.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I considered Precision, and their price was slightly cheaper, but I eventually chose UK Sails. They gave me a great price on tri radial, and now that I see those sails I can see how that construction minimizes sail stretch, so to me that's worth it even for cruising, and possible resale value.
Others in our yacht club chose Precision Sails and they are happy with them. Looking at the sails, it's hard to tell the difference in workmanship, but UK Sails came to the boat to measure (they almost insisted on that to get the sails right) which told me they value quality and their reputation. They also recommended Weathermax protection on the headsail rather than heavier Sunbrella, to get better sail shape, etc.
Frank