new owner of ericson 35-3/ possible project thread

timelesschs

hello all,
just wanted to introduce myself, my name is ryan and i recently bought an ericson 35-3 as a major project boat. im a 26 year old carpenter living in charleston sc and so far i have replaced the engine and most of the water damaged teak. im in the process of rewiring it and the thought occurred to me that maybe some of you would be interested in following along the project, and that maybe me posting my progress might help me stay motivated. I will be doing pretty much all the work on the boat myself and on a pretty tight budget so it might be interesting. this is my first major boat project also. anyways let me know if anyone is interested in seeing a project thread and i will put one together. thanks everyone all the usefull information on here has been a godsend!
-ryan

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes Ryan! That would be great! Many of us try to do our own repairs and modifications whenever possible, so extra information and advice from fellow Ericson owners is always welcome. These are such lovely boats that they are worth investing some time and money in to restore them and keep them on the water.
Good luck in your project work! I look forward to following along.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes. Please do post up narratives, pictures, and questions as you go along.
Loren

timelesschs

ok, what section should i post the thread in? i think i will do a first post with some background and the pictures of work i have completed so far, as well as projects for the future.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
ok, what section should i post the thread in? i think i will do a first post with some background and the pictures of work i have completed so far, as well as projects for the future.

If you have material to post that is 97% expository, just put those narratives into a Blog. I or Christian can approve a new blog.
Having a Blog here does not obligate a member to XX number of entries in a period of time, but there is a loose expectation that they will add more entries.
Not to embarrass Christian, but his Blog has the added benefit being concise enough to make a good destination in and of itself. I like being able to go directly to his blog for information about maintenance and upgrades. For major restoration, I click on the "olsenjohn" Blog for information and enlightenment.

For questions that need answers from others, an Forum entry is best. These are viewed more often by more members. Threads in Forums also allow others to post pictures -- and often pictures of solutions are a wonderful help to their narrative solutions.

For many questions, the venerable Maintenance and Mechanical Forum is a good place to post.

Also, before you ask a new question, do have a look at our archives to see if your new question might be added to an existing thread. No requirement to do this, but occasionally your question actually is directly aligned with a prior thread. Of course the other 80% of the time the new question is from a different perspective and really needs needs its own thread.
Thread Title is important, too. Much better to call it "Broken motor mount on my E-28+" rather than label it "help needed"....... one title can be searched easily.... the other not so much.

Regards,
Loren

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ryan,

To add to Loren's helpful suggestions, when doing a search using Google's "search this site" option will get a more pin pointed search result.

Welcome!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I suggest posting with photos for a month or two (Maintenance and Mechanical Forum) before applying for a blog.

Please put your boat model, year and engine in a "signature" line. It is a huge help to responders.

WElcome aboard!