New Owner, 1981 E36 RH San Diego

Robid

Hello all; Well we jumped back into it after about 10 years. I wasn't quite ready but when are you. We moved down here to San Diego around when COVID hit and have been moving all this time. We left northern california mostly because of fires, we have been 7 in the last 12 years. Slowly I have been becoming a recluse and I think my wife realized I needed some social outlet. We had our intitial "discussions" of where we wanted to be on the water. I favored Oceanside as it was closer and she wanted to be nearer to San Diego. And this is how we came upon our boat....a private listing on the docks and the slip is transferrable (once you pass the salt test with the dock master).

The seller upgraded to a Hunter and is a few slips down. Recently divorced, from italy, he is hilarious. On our sea trial I wanted to raise the main and he declared "you know Robert, that is the first time I have had it up!"...apparently his mode of sailing is romance tours with an undersized furling jib. I spent a good 6 hours going through the boat and let's just say this site will be very helpful.

Now I will be honest, I bought this boat as a placekeeper for a slip with dreams of getting something more "finished". In reality after two days I realized it really fits our personalities more. I also have a profound respect for old items. I do have to figure out a few important things like how to get my old lab into the cabin.

As far as sea experience, I was a professional mariner, Chief Engineer with more than 1.5 million sea miles or approximately 500 million revolutions. Almost 1 million nautical miles in Alaska waters. I was a Marine Surveyor for 20 years for beer money but mostly did damage, engine, and cargo surveys. I also worked as a Machinery and Equipment appraiser....and I am often called a sea lawyer but have no idea why except to say if I am not right, I should be.

I owned a 24 ft Samurai French sailboat which had more road miles than water miles...Lake Tahoe, Petaluma, Gig Harbor, San Diego, San Felipe. I lost the boat to a storage yard during a bad period in Mexico. My old neighbor says he thinks its a Taco stand down there now. I had my 1971 Bellboy Power Cruiser boat in Lake Oroville. I named the boat "3 Hour Tour" because running it 3 hours on the lake usually created 8 hours of maintenance.

One of the reasons I am drawn to boats, ships and floating things is that they are defined entities. In my chaotic life, they give me singular focus and success is equally clearly defined.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing information for this new adventure.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Robert,
I really enjoyed your post, and your very interesting background! Welcome to this site--it's a great source of any information on all aspects of Ericson boats, with lots of skill and experience among the various contributors.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of the reasons I am drawn to boats, ships and floating things is that they are defined entities. In my chaotic life, they give me singular focus and success is equally clearly defined.
Nicely Put!
Welcome to the Viking ranks.
The 36RH is a rather rare boat. Speed and comfort. Lots of it. Also, the guy that raced that design for the factory team checks in here from time to time.
:egrin:

Further: If you are introducing a dog to your boat, this story is .... priceless! https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/dorkiest-boat-project-ever.645/

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
Welcome to Oceanside Robid ! This is a great little harbor. I'm the E29 on your right coming down the G ramp. Maybe I'll see you around some day.