New Mast E27

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had a reputable local yard look reveiw my mast and tell me that I should be looking for a new one.:esad: This is something I will consider at least until I get sticker shock. Has anyone replaced an E27 mast? If so what mfg. did you go with, what mast section, cost, etc. I've looked through the other mast posts on the board and have not found anyone else with an E27 who has been through this.

I spoke to Dan at Long Beach Salvage a couple weeks ago about the E27 mast and boom he had just salvaged, but it sounded in rough shape, so I am hesitant to go for something I can't inspect (I am having him send me the gooseneck off of it). Unfortunately I am not aware of any salvage yards nearby so I can't scavenge for used masts in person...

So if anyone knows of a used E27 mast in good condition or has details of their new mast, let me know, any leads are appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug

Emerald

One of the problems I think you'll run into as you talk to local yards etc. is everyone is going to tell you to replace the mast because no one wants you coming back holding them liable. I feel like I went through this - an attitude of CYA = "who cares what the guy is going to spend to fix it, I just don't want some attorney calling when it snaps in half"

How deep are the indents? Is there any sign of cracking in the metal?

PDX

Member III
Masts

There are three manufacturers in California that have been recommended to me:

1. Ballenger
2. LeFiell (sp?)
3. Forespar

Also you may wish to check out Rig Rite. I believe they are located on the East Coast. They make some Kenyon copies. Kenyon spars were very common on Ericsons.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of the problems I think you'll run into as you talk to local yards etc. is everyone is going to tell you to replace the mast because no one wants you coming back holding them liable. I feel like I went through this - an attitude of CYA = "who cares what the guy is going to spend to fix it, I just don't want some attorney calling when it snaps in half"
How deep are the indents? Is there any sign of cracking in the metal?

Agree completely. If I were a rigger, I would be very careful in framing my reply to such a question. Back when I was working I was often asked "what should I do now" by people inquiring how to claim their UI benefits or deal with legal issues. (I was an adjudicator for 20 years.)
All of us used something like: "I cannot and will not tell you what you should do or give any legal advice, but, if it were me, given the exact facts you have presented, I would do [thus and so...].
Often, the person would pause and think and say something like: "Ah so, thank you, now I shall make my own decision!"

Liability can be quite a mine field, in a world of hungry attorneys. :rolleyes:

Plus, the yard crew can much better afford to replace a questionable spar section, because they do not pay retail.

One thing to do is check with other yards, small and large, all around your geographic area for parts. Tell 'em you want that old used mast to use as a grape arbor! ;)

OTOH, if you find that you can budget for a new spar, Ballenger
http://www.ballengerspars.com/
in California is at the top of most sailors' lists for quality.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks, David. The CYA issue certaintly has occurred to me. But I figure I will see what they come up with before I rule this out entirely. Thanks PDX for the mfgs. I hadn't heard of the last one.

Doug

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for all the replies. The mast estimate came back around 6k. I kind of figured as much but wanted to find out. I think I will be going another direction. :rolleyes:

So Rob, the internal sleeve idea has merit. I just wonder how it would work with the existing profile of the mast (see photo).

The issue I'm wondering about is that there is no way to attach the sleeve to the back side of the mast track wall. Wonder if that would be an issue or not? Also wonder how easy it would be to get the form close enough to slide into the mast yet still be able to rivet tightly. I'll start inquiring at local metal shops about bending some sheet aluminum to match.

Thanks again.

Doug