New jib for E28

Special K

Member II
I am in the process of replacing the jib for our boat. I often sail solo, cruise instead of race and the old 135 needs to go. My quandary is that I was contemplating a jib where the clew would just kiss the shrouds. Although that will make short-handed tacking a joy, the resulting sail will be about equivalent to a 90% jib.

I am looking for sage advice. I just don’t want to be disappointed. I appreciate any and all input.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I changed down from a faithful old 135, about a decade ago. Went with a composite (but not the most expensive version) 97% from North. Three vertical battens. The key is those battens, which allow the sail to have useful roach and decent shape in the upper half. Rolls in with zero problems on our furler, sheets to the inside tracks by our shroud bases. This shape, with battens, give about the same drive in the upper portion as a 110, or more. IMHO.

Still, there is a sacrifice in power when the true wind goes much below 8 kts. Above that we are fully powered up at about 12 and can sail well with one reef in the main in 24 true.
Easy to tack. Very.

Happy shopping!
:)

Last edited:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I have a 90 jib in the SF Bay and have never wanted anything larger. I think a lot of the answer depends on where you sail.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I purchased a 105 roller furling North 3Di with 3 vertical battens . I never thought it would be my go to sail as I have a like 135 , but the ease of handling out ways the little speed advantages of the 135. I have a E26-2 which is very similar rig set up

Special K

Member II
I am in the process of replacing the jib for our boat. I often sail solo, cruise instead of race and the old 135 needs to go. My quandary is that I was contemplating a jib where the clew would just kiss the shrouds. Although that will make short-handed tacking a joy, the resulting sail will be about equivalent to a 90% jib.

I am looking for sage advice. I just don’t want to be disappointed. I appreciate any and all input.
Thank you all for your input. I decided to go with a 110. My wife actually made a strong argument that due to the often light winds in the San Juan’s during the summer, the 90% might prove to be disappointing and we would always have the ability to roll up a larger sail if we wanted. Who would have guessed that she had been listening to me babble for all these years!