New here and just bought an older E32

Herbie

I have read the posts on HIN's. My hull is ERY (Ericson) 32 (32ft) 407 (hull prodn number) MT4M. This last part must somehow refer to the year and month produced. Can anyone clarify that for me? Also Wikipedia lists the Ericson models and as near as I can tell this must be an Ericson 32 II. It has the right year and right hull number but they list the displacement as 8806 lbs whereas the survey of the boat lists 9800 lbs. A minor point but just curious if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks

tenders

Innocent Bystander
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

MT4M ...?

I'm guessing the first three characters are actually M74, which would mean 1974. My 1969 32 is hull #112, so building almost 300 hulls like this in 4-5 years isn't out of the question.

Unfortunately the final "M" doesn't correspond to the format in the link above, where the month letters quixotically run A-L for August through July.

Herbie

Thanks Tenders. I took the HIN off the survey but it maybe a typo. I will try and find the numbers and read it for myself.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I just checked an old E32 registry I used to keep long before this site was set up. Hulls 345-384 were, so far as the owners reported, 1974 layups. Similarly, hulls 406-446 were 1975s. I didn't have any info on hulls between 384 and 405, and there are lots of gaps between hull numbers in my registry.

So your #407 seems like an anomaly if it really is a '74 hull and the guy with hull #406 was correct that it's a '75.

Yours could quite possibly be a '75 hull. If it was one of the last '74s and it was laid up in December 1974, your HIN might just be M74E.

If it was a January 1975 hull, the HIN might be M75F.

PDX

Member III
It has the right year and right hull number but they list the displacement as 8806 lbs whereas the survey of the boat lists 9800 lbs. A minor point but just curious if anyone can shed some light on this. Thanks

I think some of the listed displacements on early Ericsons are suspect. 8800 seems awfully light for a 32 footer using 1970s construction techniques. I don't understand, in terms of design and equipment, where the weight savings was supposed to come from. The hull was hand laid solid fiberglass. Thru hulls, deck hardware, winches, were bronze. There was no use of foam to substitute for plywood or balsa. Interior use of mahogony trim was liberal. And anyone who has taken out one of those fiberglass overhead liners can tell you that they are not light.

BTW, the listed displacement on mine (Ericson 30-1) was supposed to be 7800 lbs. When I had it hauled the lift indicated somewhere in excess (don't remember exactly) of 8500. I wonder if the original listed displacements were without engine? If yours has an Atomic 4 thats 400 lbs right there.

Herbie

Thanks PDX, I wondered how suspect those number were. Who knows what was on the boat (or not on the boat) when they measured it. It has the Yanmar 2GM 20F diesel rated at 16 hp at 3400 rpm.

Herbie

I just checked an old E32 registry I used to keep long before this site was set up. Hulls 345-384 were, so far as the owners reported, 1974 layups. Similarly, hulls 406-446 were 1975s. I didn't have any info on hulls between 384 and 405, and there are lots of gaps between hull numbers in my registry.

So your #407 seems like an anomaly if it really is a '74 hull and the guy with hull #406 was correct that it's a '75.

Yours could quite possibly be a '75 hull. If it was one of the last '74s and it was laid up in December 1974, your HIN might just be M74E.

If it was a January 1975 hull, the HIN might be M75F.

Hey Tenders, I bought the boat from Bruce who bought it in 2001 from John who imported it into Canada from the US. The customs info on the boat gives the HIN as hull # 406 so this is probably the boat that belonged to "the guy" you mention and the customs declaration form gives the last five identifiers as M774M. We went out on the boat last night but beforehand searched high and low for the HIN number of the boat. Can you or anyone else "lead me by the nose" to the place I should find it on the boat? That would save me spending any more time bending my neck into unnatural positions!! Thanks

Matey

Member III
406 is your number .. me thinks

steer 025.jpg<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> After looking high & low on my 1972 32-II .. I’ve yet to find anything but 32 255 stamped on the stainless rudder head in the cockpit. It took me months to get DMV to register the boat as such as they wanted the customary 13 some odd digit number even though it was registered as 255 before.

Regards, Greg

Guy Stevens

1972 32-II .. I’ve yet to find anything but 32 255 stamped on the stainless rudder head in the cockpit. Regards, Greg

1972 is the break over year for HIN change. Mine is only stamped on that ring to, 1973 boats have a hull number in the glass in the transom.

Guy
:)

Herbie

Any further history on my boat would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=Herbie;68800]Hey Tenders, I bought the boat from Bruce who bought it in 2001 from John who imported it into Canada from the US. The customs info on the boat gives the HIN as hull # 406 so this is probably the boat that belonged to "the guy" you mention and the customs declaration form gives the last five identifiers as M774M. We went out on the boat last night but beforehand searched high and low for the HIN number of the boat. Can you or anyone else "lead me by the nose" to the place I should find it on the boat? That would save me spending any more time bending my neck into unnatural positions!! Thanks[/QUOTE]

Tenders and Matey were a big help. I had a second survey done and the boat proved to be hull 406 M7 74M and as suggested by Tenders was probably a late 74 layup with 1975 registration.
The boat was I believe originally from the Boston area. Right before I bought it the hull was sanded and new gel-coat applied. She has a yellow hull which I believe was the original colour and when sanded there was a image of a peacock on the starboard side near the stern. It was suggested that the boat may have belonged to a family named Peacock who resided in the Boston area. I will post a picture when I figure out how to do that. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Herbie