New Genoa

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I've been saving my sheckels for a new roller furling genoa. I have gotten (or am still getting) quotes from all the usual lofts in my area & beyond. I may end up with dacron (polyester), but I would prefer a laminate, radial cut sail. My old genoa was a mylar laminate, RIP. That is rest in peace, not rip as in tear. The years of UV exposure finally got to it.

Are there any recommendations on the best cloth for combined shapeholding & durability? Are there any sailmakers whose products really stand out beyond the others either in quality or in value (lower cost for equal quality)?

There are some (Quantum Mx or North NorLam or UK Tape Drive or Ulman Fiberpath come to mind) which purport to be blends of high tech materials and more economical & longer lasting fibers. These may be good compromises for value & performance, but I am trying to sort it out before this sizable investment.

Thanks for any input.

CSMcKillip

Kieth, we have Ullman Sails on our 33. I used epsails for our Capri 25, the guy knows his stuff. Mr Patterson is also a very hands on loft as he gave us tuning guides and great instructions on sail shape and how to get the most out of the sails. Once we move out of the older rags - never been used, I will have EP make our sails.

I can not say enough about EP.

Check out his website and give him a call.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Not sure how innovative you're willing to get but a guy named Dave Bierig made me a cruising 150% roller furler for my E-32 in 1995 and it's been a great sail.

It's built like a tank but the interesting thing about it are its battens in the leech that run parallel to the forestay. This is one of those simple, obvious, clever things that every cruising genoa ought to have. They help the sail keep its shape when it's unfurled or -- most importantly -- when it's partially furled.

Dave is the guy who invented the CamberSpar, a curved boom that fits into a pocket in self-tending jibs, that is used on many Freedom boats.

Dave is in Erie, PA and his number 814-459-8001. For more information on Dave's expertise, Google Bierig Dreamer to see his restored 1929 Alden 55' ketch.

I have no economic interest whatsoever, just a happy customer.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Kieth, we have Ullman Sails on our 33. I used epsails for our Capri 25, the guy knows his stuff. Mr Patterson is also a very hands on loft as he gave us tuning guides and great instructions on sail shape and how to get the most out of the sails. Once we move out of the older rags - never been used, I will have EP make our sails.

I can not say enough about EP.

Check out his website and give him a call.

Chris,

Thanks for the input. I will try Elliot - Pattison, which is what I think you meant. I am trying to get quotes from all the significant lofts, so I will add that one to the list.

Keith

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
+1 for Elliot-Pattison. They have been great over the years. I stopped in recently
for new tell tales on my main. They did it while I waited, and refused to take any
of my money. They will definitely get my new sail order when it's time.

Martin

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
When I was shopping for a new Genoa I called around locally and had mixed results. Lofts that had been very highly recommended did not return repeated phone calls and some lofts just didn't seem at all interested in selling me anything. And no, this was not their busy time either. The local Haarstick loft treated me right. Reasonable price, came down to the boat to measure twice just to make sure, etc. Even offered to go sailing to help me tweak the sail trim, tune the rig, etc. if needed, no charge. The sail has been great and they get my wash, repair and storage business as well. The moral of the story is find a loft you like doing business with, you may never have a reason to go back but if you do the experience will be better. RT

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The moral of the story is find a loft you like doing business with, you may never have a reason to go back but if you do the experience will be better. RT

All good advice! Thanks very much to all who have replied. I continue to get quotes from various lofts (one or two I have not received yet - EP & Quantum) & will likely make my mind up sometime this week.

windjunkee

Member III
I'm in the process of buying new sails right now. I ended up going with a North 3DL #2, built to go on our brand new Harken Mark IV roller furler. It was expensive (over $4,000 including tax), but it sails like a dream. I'm also having a Code Zero and a high wind staysail being built, all by North.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jim,

That seems like a heck of a lot. Did they offer you 25% off with an old sail turned in? That is the advertized special now. I have heard it said that they always have some special going, but their list price is 25% more than the others. Then when you apply whatever their special du jour is, you come out with a competitive price with the other lofts. That may be their marketing strategy.

Of course I am not going to the 3DL which is their most expensive sail. I am considering their Norlam laminated sail, though.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
Keith,

Most local sailmakers know the waters, usually race them, and also know older boats. They know older boats flex to much to get a real stiff fiber. They are usually a lot less cash and have better service. They may not deliver the sail as fast as a North or Quantum - but there support goes on for years - small patch jobs from yhay 60 knot blow etc.

If you don't have a local sailmaker, ping me offline and I can get you in touch with mine and I bet he knows of someone in your area.

Good Luck,

Jason

windjunkee

Member III
Keith,

We had a full complement of Ullman sails and worked well with the local rep. I was willing to pay more for Ullman because of the service we got. Then, Sam switched from Ullman to North. I called Ullman to get quotes and they jacked their prices up, despite the good publicity of how we talked up Ullman when we win races. North remained competitive with Ullman and they were quite attentive so we switched. I'm very happy with the #2 so far. We'll see how the race goes this weekend. We'll be buying a total of 4 sails between June and December, the last one being a Norlam Main.
I'll let you know how they perform.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jason & Jim,

Yes, I definitely want a local loft.....local being up to 50 miles or so. Ullman & north are within about 5 mi. UK, EP & Quantum within the 50 mi. radius. So far Ullman is quoting the best price. Some of these lofts don't respond to either on-line quote requests or e mail, though. I gotta pick up the phone & call them.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I finally decided last week & ordered. I went with Ullman because of lowest price, poximity & I already know them, also.

So I am getting a tri-radial cut, laminate 135%. The laminate consists of a mylar layer for strength & shape, then polyester & taffeta on each side of the mylar. Because I had only a vague idea of what taffeta is, I asked the sailmaker (Gary Swenson--I think Seth knows him from old times) about it. I was correct in my impression that it is another form of polyester, with a smaller denier (thread size) and more threads per inch. So I guess it is more plieable to the touch, hence the name that sounds to me like the girl's gown for the dance.

Now the wait.....3 weeks.:esad: I shoulda not taken so long to make up my mind.

Meanwhile I will replace the halyard & paint the boom among other things.