New Ericson 30-2 Owner

Tom K

I just bought a 1978 Ericson 30-2. It is located on Lake Erie west of Cleveland, OH. I've been sailing the boat for three years and had the opportunity to buy it at a price I couldn't refuse. My wife said I couldn't own two boats at once, however, so I sold my 26' 1966 Pearson Ariel in a day. I really like how the 30-2 sails, and my wife likes the enclosed head. I can also stand all the way up in it. I've also been impressed with the build quality with the exception of the bow cleats. One ripped out during a storm, and we discovered that there were no backing plates on the cleats, just washers.

Due to the fact that so few were built, I'm having trouble finding detailed information about this boat. I would really appreciate it if another 30-2 owner could either provide me with a scan of the owner's manual or answer some of the following questions I have (mainly relevant to the work I have planned for this winter):

1. How are the exterior and interior hand rails attached? I assumed they are through-bolted, but is the nut on top or bottom? Are they attached to the coach roof with sealant or, God forbid, an adhesive?

2. What is the coach roof cored with under the handrails, plywood or balsa?

3. How thick is the balsa core in the coach roof? I'm assuming it is 1/2".

4. How many gallons does the fresh water tank hold? It is under the starboard settee and inaccessible except for the fittings.

5. What is the recommended starting rig tension? I have a Loos gauge, but I don't know what the tension should be. We've just been guessing at it.

Thanks