New E27 Owner

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I want to introduce myself to the forum and have been waiting a week for the Great Hacking of 2013 to get sorted out to do so. My name is Greg Ulrich. I've been crewing on sailboats for about 15 years, mostly pleasure sailing, some racing and a couple of deliveries. My first boat was a 1983 MacGregor Venture out of Marina del Rey California which I would regularly singlehand to Catalina Island. I owned a basket case Catalina 30 for a minute before purchasing Patriot, a 1972 Ericson 27 last week. The more I read about the design and craftsmanship that went in to the Ericson brand the more pleased I am with my purchase.

I'm a former computer animator and graphic designer. I currently work for a designer furniture and accessories start up in Santa Monica. I'm also hold a private pilot certificate. I love to tinker with things. I completely rewired my Mac25 after an "incident" at sea which left me bobbing around the Pacific at night with no wind, lights, radio or engine and most recently completely rebuilt a 79 VW bus engine in my kitchen. I'm obviously single.

I'm looking forward to the great advise and lively discussions on this forum. If you're in MDR or Venice where I live, hit me up for a sail or a beer!

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Welcome! It is not obvious, I've built a couple VW engines in the dinning room and was married every time... Still am by the way! Enjoy the boat and forum! Edd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I'm a former computer animator and graphic designer. I currently work for a designer furniture and accessories start up in Santa Monica. I'm also hold a private pilot certificate. I love to tinker with things. I completely rewired my Mac25 after an "incident" at sea which left me bobbing around the Pacific at night with no wind, lights, radio or engine and most recently completely rebuilt a 79 VW bus engine in my kitchen. I'm obviously single.

I'm looking forward to the great advise and lively discussions on this forum. If you're in MDR or Venice where I live, hit me up for a sail or a beer!

Cheers,
Greg

Welcome Greg, I am also the owner on a 1973 Ericson 27, as well as a previous MacGregor Venture22-2 owner and a Graphic Designer and Single. Too much in common. :0 You will find your E-27 to be a very stable, well built and great handling vessel, with lots of things that need tinkering with. :egrin: Welcome to the Group from Skipper Jeff, down in the low rent district here in Pedro.

Last edited:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Thanks Edd and Jeff.

I used to sail my friend's Spindrift 44 out of San Pedro until he sold it a few months ago. He was moored at San Pedro Marina in front of Fishman's Seafood restaurant and of course the weekly transvestite musical revue. I like it down there. It's a interesting crowd. The bathrooms are an affront to nature and I wouldn't eat at the restaurant if you paid me but what are you gonna do? The craft market should be interesting when it gets up to speed.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Edd and Jeff.

I used to sail my friend's Spindrift 44 out of San Pedro until he sold it a few months ago. He was moored at San Pedro Marina in front of Fishman's Seafood restaurant and of course the weekly transvestite musical revue. I like it down there. It's a interesting crowd. The bathrooms are an affront to nature and I wouldn't eat at the restaurant if you paid me but what are you gonna do? The craft market should be interesting when it gets up to speed.

Well, I am not down there on the water front on the Main Channel, things are quite a bit nicer over here at the West Channel, I'm at Cabrillo Marina where LAYC is. FYI, Crafted has been open for quite a while, nothing there really interest me, the Galleries downtown on 6th & 7th street do though. "weekly transvestite musical revue" ? :confused:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
"weekly transvestite musical revue" ? :confused:

Oh it's got it all. The same set list week after week after week, volume at 11 en Español, feral children flinging styrofoam plates full of food into the water and at the boats as their listless parents languidly watch...a real treat! The rest of the week it's great. I've taken a few tango lessons on 6th street.

You're lucky. Cabrillo is nice, the closest you can get to Catalina and the haul out there is the cheapest in L.A. The Boatyard in MDR quoted me a price nearly 50% higher than Cabrillo. Do you know what their quality is like?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh it's got it all. The same set list week after week after week, volume at 11 en Español, feral children flinging styrofoam plates full of food into the water and at the boats as their listless parents languidly watch...a real treat! The rest of the week it's great. I've taken a few tango lessons on 6th street.

You're lucky. Cabrillo is nice, the closest you can get to Catalina and the haul out there is the cheapest in L.A. The Boatyard in MDR quoted me a price nearly 50% higher than Cabrillo. Do you know what their quality is like?

Yeah, Ports O' Call is not my thing as well. They have new developers bidding for the re vitalization, we will have to see what happens there.

Personally, I do not care for Cabrillo Boat yard because they use a crane to haul your boat, and they are quite small. Hauled out there once 11 years ago. Also I don't know what it's like there now that they have all the construction for the new Gerald Desmond Bridge going on right there. Quite the mess:http://www.newgdbridge.com It's won't be finished until 2016.

I much prefer Marina Shipyard down in Long Beach / Alamitos. They use a elevator, trolly track system. I will be hauling out there next March. http://www.marinashipyard.com

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

Consider hauling in King Harbor at King Harbor Marine Center. It's a very small yard but a well run operation with good people. Personally, I don't think much of Marina Shipyard in Long Beach. I hauled there once when I changed out a prop shaft on my previous boat--a Catalina 30. The cradles were so rusty and missing supports that I couldn't wait until the boat was safe and sound back in the water. Several years back I saw a Newport 27 that they dropped on its side probably about 15 minutes or so after it happened. That place gives me the creeps. The King Harbor yard, though a bit of a trip from San Pedro, is worth the trek to me. By the way: they use a travel lift, not a crane. They were very accommodating and their prices were fair.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Personally, I don't think much of Marina Shipyard in Long Beach. I hauled there once when I changed out a prop shaft on my previous boat--a Catalina 30. The cradles were so rusty and missing supports that I couldn't wait until the boat was safe and sound back in the water. Several years back I saw a Newport 27 that they dropped on its side probably about 15 minutes or so after it happened. That place gives me the creeps.

Well, if it's time to bag on Haul Out Yards, Cabrillo Boat Yard dropped my dock neighbors 1/4 million $ power cat from their crane and strap system. Not good. I have hauled my boat at Marina Ship Yard and two of my friends boats. A Catalina 27 and a 34. Never had a problem, but shit can happen anywhere. Plus Marina Ship Yard is only an hour and a half from Cabrillo Marina. Heading back there soon. But thanks for the tip about King Harbor.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Well, if it's time to bag on Haul Out Yards, Cabrillo Boat Yard dropped my dock neighbors 1/4 million $ power cat from their crane and strap system. Not good. I have hauled my boat at Marina Ship Yard and two of my friends boats. A Catalina 27 and a 34. Never had a problem, but shit can happen anywhere. Plus Marina Ship Yard is only an hour and a half from Cabrillo Marina. Heading back there soon. But thanks for the tip about King Harbor.
I hauled both my Catalina 30 and my Newport 27 at Cabrillo when I sold both boats; that's where the surveys took place. I don't care a whole lot for that yard, either. The thing with Marina Shipyard is the obvious lack of maintenance on their equipment. And as I said, the rusted cradles with missing supports really gave me the willies. I, too, had no problems at Marina when I hauled my Catalina 30, but I sure was happy when the boat was back in the water. Actually, the best yard I ever hauled at was Baja Naval in Ensenada, but that's certainly a bit of a trek from San Pedro! They had good quality equipment, extremely well maintained, and an immaculately kept yard. Ironically, it kind of makes the yards down here look distinctly "third world" by comparison. Plus, I paid about 60% of what I would have up here. But it's too far to use on a regular basis but in that instance a couple of friends of mine and I did it as much for the sailing trip as for the haul out. King Harbor is quite acceptable as an alternative.

Last edited:

Rob Salinas

Member II
Actually

The closest marina to Catalina is over here at Al Larson :). Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum. You'll love the 27, great lil boat for our So Cal waters. There is a nice handfull of e-27's here in the LA, OC area. Lots of people who've been there,done that. Cheers, Rob

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds like a challenge

As the wind blows, more like 3 or4 tacks and 45 extra mins...Ha:)

Sounds like a challenge Rob, want to race from the lighthouse up to Cabrillo's "no wake" buoy this Saturday at about 3pm when it's blowing like stink in Hurricane Gulch? btw, it should only take 2 tacks at the most, none with a onshore breeze blowing from the South, and it's never taken me 45 minutes, maybe 20 at most. Something's wrong if it takes that long to sail 3/4 mile. :devil:

Attachments

• harbor.jpg
    harbor.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 78