New Control Cables

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Just completed the job by replacing my stop cable as well (used a 20 footer). Smoother operation all around, and good peace of mind knowing all the cables are new.

If I were to do this again, it would take a solid day to replace all the cables, and about $180 total for the cables. But, hopefully I won't need to for another 20 years.

Mark

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well they're sure expensive, but you really ought to have a spare set of these cables on board - at least if you are going far afield. I sure wish I had had a spare when I broke my gear cable 200 miles from home while anchored in a remote anchorage. Nigel Calder recommends you replace both gear and throttle cables every 5 years, and keep the old ones on board as spares.

BTW, I've asked around a bit, and I've NEVER met another sailor who actually did this.

Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
The 15 footer was just about right on my E38 with Yanmar engine, Edson pedestal, and Hurth transmission. You should be good going with that length on your E34. If the cable is 2 or 3 feet too long, it's not a big deal. Better too long than too short! You never know though, you may want to CYA by actually removing the cable first and then measuring it. That's what I did.

mark

AlexLindsay

Thanks Mark.
I read your earlier post about the 15 foot cable. Wasn't sure what the 4 foot difference in boat size would do to cable lengths. Was trying to avoid coils or too many bends in the cable.

AlexLindsay

Thanks Keith.

There is that possibility and, as someone else mentioned, sometimes the length is printed right on the cable. Unfortunately, I have been unable to see/find either.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Anybody know the length of the shift cable for an E34-2?

I FAINTLY remember 16 & 17 feet, but don't remember which was which. It was a long time ago and I am away from my records. I bought them, but didn't do the install. My cables were original and had the length stamped on them.