New cabin sole underlay thoughts?

jmcelwee

Member I
Hi all,

I'm replacing the cabin sole in my '84 E28+, and am thinking about how to lay the new sole down. I don't want to glue it down (considering what a nightmare it's been getting the old glued-down sole up), and am planning on just screwing it down (as many others here have done with their sole replacements).

My worry is that using just a screwed-down sole, there will be lots of opportunities for water to collect in the voids between the sole and the TAFG structue. I'm thinking that to generate a water-tight seal under the sole, as well as firm up the feel of it, I could put a rubber underlay underneath the sole before I screw it in. Something like 1/16 or 1/8" sheet rubber, cut to the form of the sole panels? Any ever tried this, or have thoughts?

Thanks!
-Josh

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Perhaps not the best choice, but I used a combination of sill seal foam on the open grid and closed cell weather striping on the edges. The weather striping is adhesive back to hold it in place.

When someone suggested the sill seal to me I had no idea what it was, so I'll add a pic.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 08 13.23.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 08 13.23.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 185

newpbs

Member III
Butyl Tape?

Would butyl tape work. It remains flexible, would keep water out and it is inexpensive.

Paul

jmcelwee

Member I
Rubber sheeting

I'm definitely leaning towards something that wont actually stick the sole to the TAFG, rather just provide a watertight seal. I'm looking at rubber sheets, that have adhesive on one side (so I could stick the sheet to the bottom of the sole): http://rubbersheetroll.com/rubber-sheets.htm. I figure a few 1/8" sheets would work to cover the whole sole....

Josh, 12 years ago I replaced my sole on Sketcher. First 3/8" marine plywood sealed on both sides (bottom side I also painted with a marine paint) screwed it all down. Then 3/8" strip of solid teak and small strips of maple...all of this 5200 glued down...no screws.
Will admit sanding was important.

It is solid. have had no problems with water intrusion or staining. I add a new coat of varnish every third year.

Hilco